Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

hallie

Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:09 pm

I know you are under the gun, but something else to throw at this. I was looking at ways to control the SB from my PC and ran across this "virtual" remote control download.
http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php

After I installed it, there were a few failed connection messages. When I went to look at the SB it said, "loading playlists data." Since this is the first time I have ever seen this, I got slightly excited. My biggest fear, however, is it's just locked up and trying to get playlists and can't. I'm afraid to touch it w/o giving it some time. I'll keep you posted.

PS I also got same problem going away from WMC, but I went to itunes. It found my folder, but when I tried to have it look at playlist the "connection failed." There are lots of the same posts in the forum and i haven't seen an answer yet that solved that problem.

hallie

Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:01 pm

From the WMC user forum, a response to our same problem suggested:

"I had this problem with my Roku. After a lot of research I tried the
following which worked.

I uninstalled WMC2.

Logged onto the PC as the "true administrator". I.e. the "administrator"
username on the PC itself rather than on the domain it is attached to. Not a
user with administrator rights.

Reinstalled WMC2 and set it up while logged in as Administrator.

Logged off again and logged in as myself.

Bingo"

As for the virtual remote, it was the first time I could truly see it was recognizing WMC. It did get hung up when loading the library and put me back to same place. You can set up WMC to allow access to SB, but it desn't mean it's connected/actually sharing files. I'm about to give up.

hallie

It ALMOST works!

Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:27 pm

That trick about logging on as admin to PC (not domain) worked!!!! My SB now sees WMC. Now the only problems is there are "0" files. I think there's some more help on this, but dang that was so easy, yet so hard to find on this forum with so many having problems connecting with WMC!

markwill
Topic Author

Re: It ALMOST works!

Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:05 am

hallie wrote:
That trick about logging on as admin to PC (not domain) worked!!!! My SB now sees WMC. Now the only problems is there are "0" files. I think there's some more help on this, but dang that was so easy, yet so hard to find on this forum with so many having problems connecting with WMC!

Thanks for the tip. I have uninstalled and reinstalled under the local Admin account. That's the good news. Tha bad news is that the M500 is happily wrapped and sat under the tree so it'll be a while before I find out whether this worked :-)

Thanks again for the suggestion. And a Merrry Christmas (I'm in the UK and it's Christmas morning here)...

Mark

markwill
Topic Author

Re: It ALMOST works!

Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:00 am

hallie wrote:

Well, whadya know - worked for me too! And made for a much more effective demo of the M500 after the present was opened by my brother yesterday (because I really wanted to show him Napster integration). In fact, everyone at our party was pretty much blown away by the Soundbridge :-)

So, THANK YOU!!!! I'll be making sure that the WMC team at Microsoft is aware of this fix in the hope that they can prevent it happening in future versions.

Thanks again.

Mark

Burkhardi

Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:40 pm

Glad y'all are up and running. I had to reinstall my OS to fix mine, but I had a little different issue.
http://www.wmcplayer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

efauser

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:47 pm

I am fed up!!! my M1000 can't find the library. I'm connected to the network but can't connect to the server. Tried uninstalling WMC2. Now that I've reinstalled it doesn't recognize my device. I know there is probably an easy fix but don't know what it is. It has been working but just stopped today. It does have an auto IP, incase anyone is wondering.
Last edited by efauser on Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

efauser

Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:57 pm

One other thing: I feel like an idiot but I can't seem to find where I sign on as the actual admistrator.

muchow

No libraries found, and related errors.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:46 pm

Ryan et al.,

You will never believe what the problem was. I am so pitifully grateful to figure this out that I can't even think straight.

It was Norton *(O&&^%^&%*( Antivirus. My firewall was turned off when I tested with no luck. BUT NORTON antivirus 2006 inserts &*^(&*^ INTERNET WORM PROTECTION that treats every attempt at sniffing the LAN as though it were some sort of attempt an nefarious wrongdoing.

The effect is that THOUGH THE MACHINE IS STILL BROWSABLE (sometimes), and all the right ports are open, and so on and so on, Norton takes SO LONG TO VERIFY that it's OK to access the machine that it times out most of the time. I just tested this, and WITH the worm protection on, SOME machines on my LAN see the machine running WMC RIGHT AWAY, and others see it only after about a 1-5 minute delay. The ROKU appears to be one of those machines that Norton is paranoid about. God only knows why. Anyway, when Norton is ON, but WORM PROTECTION is turned off (important distinction, as I am sure NO ONE is going to turn Antivirus completely off!), it works fine. It doesn't help to leave worm protection on but allow exceptions. The exceptions don't seem to work right in Norton AV 2006. If you have an earlier version of Norton, it's fine... it's just NAV 2006 that gives it fits, because it's HALF firewall, half AV and not very good at either.

That explains, at least in my case, why the 'no libraries found' behavior is so erratic, works sometimes, stops working, etc., etc., and is absolutely irrelevant to whether WMC is reinstalled, uninstalled, whether the firewall is on or off, etc etc., and why for SOME people, it works just fine and for other folks it's a ^(&^(*&^( headache.

And Norton AV is the ONE THING I updated at about the time that the Roku stopped working.

Geezus H. Jehominy and his fat brother harry, I can't believe THAT was the problem... But it was. :-)

Not you Roku guys' fault, and I apologize for causing a stink with the exec team. Though it WAS nice to meet them by email <sheepish grin>.

Don

RokuMike

Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 am

Thanks very much for letting us know what the problem was. Sounds like that was a tough one to figure out! We'll be sure to add this to our troubleshooting docs.

Enjoy! :)

muchow

no music libraries found error -- a possible solution (pt 2)

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:03 pm

All,

One more thing I forgot to mention -- even if you "turn off" the windows firewall (In control panel / security settings), make SURE it is not running in services.msc. That will also block your Roku from seeing Windows Media Center.

Don

muchow

no music libraries found error -- zone alarm settings

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:02 pm

If you are using ZoneAlarm firewall, make sure you have the Roku in your trusted zone (ping roku and then use the IP address returned), AND make sure your Internet Zone settings are set to medium. You don't want to set it to HIGH or it the Roku can't see you, and if you set it to low, you will be vulnerable to worms etc.

One more tasty tidbit.

Don

avidfan

Re: No libraries found (on M500 Christmas present!!)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 pm

For those M500 users still going strong, I recently had trouble whereas I could play internet radio and connect to my network (WiFi), but received "no libraries found" and could no access music stored on my pc. Running Windows Media Center and WMP11.

I was convinced the problem was my firewall and was ready to hardwire the M500, and then....

The problem was that WMP11 was not sharing the correct folder, so my M500 could not find my music files. I corrected the problem by using the LIBRARY tab in WMP and then going to "Add to Library". Using the Add button I chose the location where all my music is stored, rebooted my M500, and voila!

Good luck!

jeohkrun

Re: No libraries found (on M500 Christmas present!!)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 pm

still don't know why the xbox 360 makes my soundbridge connect ?
will report back when i have tried wired connection (but having a couple of
days break!!)