Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

hallie
Topic Author

Soundbridge Music Library Not Located w/ Linksys & WMC

Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:20 am

I can’t get beyond “no music libraries found." I can connect to internet radio. IP Address and SSID are found and are correct. No WEP. No passwords, etc required...

I am using the following:
Brand new Soundbridge 1000 connected through stereo and trying to connect to PC through Wireless Connection- Linksys Router WRT54G
Firmware Version: v3.01.3 - HyperWRT 2.0, Feb. 7, 2005 (I tried Linksys’s latest firmware version also with same problem)
IP Address connected and displayed isn’t strange and is 192.xx….
I’m using Windows Media Connect.
Windows Media Connect shows “Soundbridge” as “accepted” device
Windows media Player 10.0
Windows XP SP2
I have disabled firewalls in all areas including:
Linksys…Windows (disabled plus checked to see that Windows Media Connect, Rhapsody and Windows Media Player are listed as an "exception"). I have also opened port 3689.
I have reset Linksys to factory settings. Soundbridge software is up to date.
In all trouble shooting, I have unplugged Soundbridge to test each change. I always get internet radio, but can’t find library…

I’m not super computer literate, but have read endless amounts on this forum and can not find any solutions…It seems like a firewall issue, but I have stopped Windows Firewall, disabled/stopped VPN, and disabled Linksys firewall. Can you help?

markwill

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:13 am

Hi,

I am experiencing very similar problems to you. So, you may wish to keep your eyes on this thread:

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5696

Mark

mikemd109

same problem

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:23 am

I'm having the same problem. I get the message "no music libraries found" . It was working fine the other day and when I turned it on this morning NOTHING! I'm totally frustrated and am just going to return the flower thing to Best Buy and never buy another Roku device. Good luck solving your problem before Christmas.

markwill

Re: same problem

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:50 am

mikemd109 wrote:
I'm having the same problem. I get the message "no music libraries found" . It was working fine the other day and when I turned it on this morning NOTHING! I'm totally frustrated and am just going to return the flower thing to Best Buy and never buy another Roku device. Good luck solving your problem before Christmas.

Well, that's a gross overreaction :-) These devices are WELL worth sticking with. They are wonderful pieces of equipment. I am sure this is an issue at the PC (at least for me). I am absolutely keeping mine.

Mark

hallie
Topic Author

One step closer?!

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:32 am

Mark,
Huge thank you! I think I’m getting somewhere and not sure how/why?!

I decided to start all over again and uninstall all players, (WMC & itunes). I did a system restore to point before I really started messing with settings. I reinstalled WMC and no luck finding SB until I played with some settings in my Linksys connection. It found SB and allowed it in WMC. Odd thing, I thought playing radio meant I was “connected,” but new thing happened today where I can control radio from the web. I don’t think it would let me do that before. I feel like I’m one step closer to connectivity!

I agree with you, this is not a SB failure. My issue is first “operator error/stupidity” and secondly a pc issue and most likely a Cisco VPN firewall I can’t seem to get around. The fact that SB is playing radio let’s me know it’s doing its job, I just have to figure out how to let it do more!

I WILL follow your link. Good Luck!

hallie
Topic Author

Problem Solved

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:50 pm

I love my SB now after some 40+ hours of trouble shooting the library/no connection issue.

I'm slightly a novice, so this may help others like me... My issue was not firewall, opening port, etc. It was just how I installed WMC. I simply uninstalled WMC. Logged off my pc as "me" and logged back on as true Admin to my actual computer (not domain). I then reinstalled WMC. Suddenly I was connected to library, but play lists= 0. I scrolled down and could suddenly see all my music by artists, song, etc. As admin, it didn't see my playlist, so I created new play lists.

I haven't tried restoring all my firewalls, etc, but for me this reinstalling and launching as admin did the trick!

pcegeek

My fix for the problem

Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:21 pm

I had the exact same problem, could do the internet radio (directly through the device) Windows media connect saw the device and enabled it but no luck finding a my server (computer's) playlist. Checked all my router settings, opened all the ports no luck. Finally, I reformatted my computer, loaded all the goodies and I'm in business. Now if I can just get my personal favorite radio stations to play...

Good luck!

extonpa

Can someone from Roku tell us how it tries to connect to WMC

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:19 pm

My problem is similar to the above...
This morning, the SoundBridge worked fine, and could even see my playlists, then I read page 31 in the manual which explained how to get "web page control". I followed the instructions to enable UPnP user service in Network Services... (and maybe I shouldn't have turned ALL of those options on... they were all off and I turned them all on)... and the SoundBridge (which was playing at the time) suddenly stopped playing.
After reboots of my computer and the Soundbridge, it was still not working, so I went back to an earlier System Restore Point on my computer and Reset Factory Setting on the Soundbridge... trying to restart from square one. No dice. I can hit the Soundbridge's web page from my computer, play internet radio, etc. and WMC seems to be running just fine (I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times).

Right after the point where the playing of my libraries stopped, I saw that the Soundbridge had found the roku website and asked if I wanted to download v 2.4.4. I said "OK"... so that is another variable... but I doubt it is the problem.

Somehow, installing the Network Services mentioned on page 31 (and unfortunately installing ALL of them, not just the one mentioned) screwed things up.... and even system restore did not roll that back.

Can someone from Roku explain exactly how the Soundbridge is trying to connect to my machine, to help me figure out how to correct the problem?

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:13 pm

extonpa,

I don't think you are having the same problem as the other people in this thread. Let me ask some questions to help figure out your issue:

- Are you using XP SP2?
- You say you can: Play internet radio, and access the web page

Try searching the help system for "UPnP", the click on: Enable UPnP network functionality

follow these instructions. Does it help?
Are you running any other firewall?

RokuRyan

Re: My fix for the problem

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:58 pm

pcegeek wrote:
I had the exact same problem, could do the internet radio (directly through the device) Windows media connect saw the device and enabled it but no luck finding a my server (computer's) playlist. Checked all my router settings, opened all the ports no luck. Finally, I reformatted my computer, loaded all the goodies and I'm in business. Now if I can just get my personal favorite radio stations to play...

Good luck!

You may find the below helpful for getting your radio stations to play.

The easiest way to add your own stations to the SoundBridge is to use iTunes. Simply open the station in iTunes, drag and drop it into a playlist that you have created, and then select that playlist for playback on the SoundBridge.

You can also add these stations to your Favorite Radio Stations. When added to Favorite Radio Stations, you may access and play these stations with the computer and your library off. The stations are accessed directly from the internet. There are two methods for doing this:

Method 1: iTunes Playlist Memorization

1. From the SoundBridge, select your iTunes library
2. Scroll down the main menu and select 'Settings'
3. Scroll down the Settings menu and select 'Memorize radio playlist...'
4. You will then be asked to select an iTunes playlist. Select the playlist that contains the stations you want to be listed under Favorite Radio Stations, and the SoundBridge will replace the current favorite radio stations with the first fifteen stations in the selected playlist.

Method 2: SoundBridge Configuration Pages

1. Obtain the IP address of the SoundBridge by going to System Configuration > Show WiFi Status or System Configuration > Show Wired Ethernet Status (depending on how you have it set up) from the SoundBridge main menu.
2. Enter this IP address into a web browser on your computer to bring up the SoundBridge configuration pages.
3. Select the 'Internet Radio' link at the top of the page.
4. Now, enter the URLs of the stations you wish to access, replacing the preset stations. You can also change the name that will appear on the SoundBridge for each station.
5. When you are done, click the Update Radio Stations button at the bottom of the page.

Note: The SoundBridge only currently supports freely available MP3 stations (usually ending in .pls or .m3u). It suporst Windows Media streams (usually ending in .asx) with the 2.5 software. It does not support Real streams (.ram).

RokuRyan

Re: same problem

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:05 pm

mikemd109 wrote:

If you'd like to send an email to support@rokulabs.com, I will be glad to help you troubleshoot the problem with the libraries not being found. This could be a number of problems. Here are a couple of things to check.

1. Make sure you still have a valid IP address. You can do this by going to System Configuration > Show WiFi Status or System Configuration > Show Wired Ethernet Status from the SoundBridge main menu (depending on how you have it set up). Check to make sure that your address does not start with 169.254. If it starts with 169.254 go to System Configuration > Reset to Factory Defaults to reset the SoundBridge and then reconfigure the network connection.

2. Make sure that the music server is running on the computer and that the computer is not off or in sleep mode.

3. Check to make sure that any security software you may have disabled earlier is still disabled.

RokuRyan

Re: Can someone from Roku tell us how it tries to connect to

Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:22 pm

extonpa wrote:
This morning, the SoundBridge worked fine, and could even see my playlists, then I read page 31 in the manual which explained how to get "web page control". I followed the instructions to enable UPnP user service in Network Services... (and maybe I shouldn't have turned ALL of those options on... they were all off and I turned them all on)... and the SoundBridge (which was playing at the time) suddenly stopped playing.
After reboots of my computer and the Soundbridge, it was still not working, so I went back to an earlier System Restore Point on my computer and Reset Factory Setting on the Soundbridge... trying to restart from square one. No dice. I can hit the Soundbridge's web page from my computer, play internet radio, etc. and WMC seems to be running just fine (I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times).

Right after the point where the playing of my libraries stopped, I saw that the Soundbridge had found the roku website and asked if I wanted to download v 2.4.4. I said "OK"... so that is another variable... but I doubt it is the problem.

Somehow, installing the Network Services mentioned on page 31 (and unfortunately installing ALL of them, not just the one mentioned) screwed things up.... and even system restore did not roll that back.

Can someone from Roku explain exactly how the Soundbridge is trying to connect to my machine, to help me figure out how to correct the problem?

Do you remember which network services you installed? You may be able to go back and uninstall them to correct the problem. Look specifically for any VPN services that you may have installed. These can lock down your connection so that devices cannot connect.

extonpa

More info on sticky problem

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:05 am

RokuRyan wrote:
extonpa wrote:
quote]

Do you remember which network services you installed? You may be able to go back and uninstall them to correct the problem. Look specifically for any VPN services that you may have installed. These can lock down your connection so that devices cannot connect.

Ryan, I think Anthony forwarded you some more detailed info (from a PM) yesterday? Anyway, I've repeated it below, but the short answer to your immediate question is that I first uninstalled the subcomponents of network services... and when that didn't work, I did system Restore.

I do have SecuRemote (vpn software) on the machine, but things still don't work when it is turned off... and everything worked previously on this machine.

Anyway, here is more background:

- Yes, I'm using XP SP2.
- I can play the radio (currently the soundbridge is playing SomaFM)... although most of the stations seem to not connect... I had to try several.
- I can hit the soundbridge and control its volume, etc. from its webpage
- I had turned off the windows firewall to see if that was the problem... but I just turned it back on to follow the instructions for "enable UPnP network functionality". I'm not running any other firewall.

Following those instructions... there was already one exception for UPnP Framework, and 6 for Windows Media Connect. Their "scope" is set for the subnet only. My soundbridge is at 192.xxx.1.103, and I included my (modified) ipconfig info below. I don't recall seeing the second copy of the ipaddress in hex, before... or the Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface... but maybe it was there before but I didn't notice it.

So, the soundbridge uses UPnP to hit my machine instead of TCP/IP?

I'm very puzzled how that WHATEVER I did under "Networking Services" was not fixed by "System Restore". I actually restored twice... once to a checkpoint this morning... and later to another checkpoint from yesterday. I know that I turned on ALL of the subcomponents, and it was during that install process that I momentarily lost network connectivity, and the playing Soundbridge stopped, and it hasn't been the same, since. Those services were:
- Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client
- Peer-to-Peer
- RIP Listener
- Simple TCP/IP Services
- UPnP User Interface
... if that provides any clue. They are now all off, except UPnP.

Is there a tool you would recommend for watching incoming hits (or attempted hits) on my machine, to see if the soundbridge is trying to hit it on some port that is messed up?

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.xxx.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::xxx:4bff:fe8a:54d0%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.xxx.1.1

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::xxx:192.xxx.1.101%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :