Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gcd0865
Topic Author

New User - M1001 not found in "My Network Places"

Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:56 pm

Hi All:

New to the Roku family as of last night (M1001) - it's a fantastic product!

I know I saw this somewhere in this forum a while back, but now I can't find it. Upon setting everything up, most everything works now (after a few fits of setting and tweaking), but I'm still not able to see the Soundbridge in "My Network Places." I was able to view the Soundbridge menu on my browser by entering in the address on the browser line, but I was wondering what setting I still have to tweak to get the device to appear in "My Network Places."

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop with Windows XP Pro, SP2 and a built-in Dell tri-mode A/B/G wireless network card; and a D-Link DI-824VUP wireless router (now set to "mixed" b/g mode). I'm using a hex key on WEP, with MAC address filtering set to allow access by only the laptop and the Soundbridge.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

RokuPatrick

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:32 pm

gcd0865
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks for the quick response, RokuPatrick.

I'm sorry, I should have explained this better. I did have the thread you mentioned in front of me during my setup, and I had already followed the steps provided, including checking the box next to UPnP User Interface, but the Soundbridge still didn't appear. I also refreshed the "My Network Places" a few times.

I thought I saw a different thread somewhere where somebody else followed those same steps, and the Soundbridge still didn't appear. Somebody posted that they needed to install or tweak something to get it to appear, but now I can't remember what it was.

I also neglected to say that I'm running the latest beta software for the Soundbridge, which I downloaded during my setup last night...

TinBox

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:09 pm

I have the same issue - I'm running the beta too and I'm sure I've seen it in My Network places before now but all I see now is my Netgear DG834GT Router.

The thing works fine but it does tend to change it's IP addresses from time to time so putting that in the browser is a bit hit and miss but I can find it easy enough and use it. But it would be nice to just click on an icon for it.

It's an M1000 running 2.5.88...
Ah - so that's what high voltage feels like...

mcfh

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:49 am

My app may help you - download via the link in my signature...
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2
Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

TinBox

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:07 am

Actually I did that and that didn't work either just came up with a blank browser page! :(
Ah - so that's what high voltage feels like...

risimmons

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 am

I've found that WinXP is a bit flaky about showing UPnP devices - I have 3 on my network (router, NAS and Soundbridge). At various times, some, all or none of these are shown in My Network Places, despite them all being switched on and running.

I've given up on XP UPnP integration, so I just go to the web page by typing in the http://IPAddress/ directly.
Roku 2 XS

mcfh

Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:31 pm

Have you got all the UPnP components installed? Both the 'Internet Gateway Discovery and Control Client' and the 'UPnP User Interface'?

Might be worth tracking how the IP addresses change and have you got a short timeout on the DHCP server?
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2

Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

gcd0865
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. This morning, after about a week of doing nothing with this problem due to lack of time, the SoundBridge magically appeared in "My Network Places" and the laptop advised me about this upon powering up with a new (and unfamiliar) icon in the system tray, advising that a new network device was available. At first, it showed 2 new network devices, one being the SoundBridge and the other being a new D-Link DI-series router (I have a D-Link DI-824VUP router). But then, that second icon just disappeared for the DI-series router, leaving just the SoundBridge.

Even though the SoundBridge has been working fine otherwise all week, the computer has been acting funny through this time, in terms of Norton Internet Security asking for permission for all sorts of things, and also in terms of the icons on my system tray not appearing as they usually do, for those that I have set for "Always Show." Some of those icons are still not there, and I have been manually re-setting the "Always Show" command for some of these, which has been bringing some of them back.

I'm convinced that the problem with the SoundBridge not appearing under "My Network Places" has been associated with Norton Internet Security. Once It finally got a rule made for itself that it was okay to allow the SoundBridge to appear (through my repeated "permitting" of all sorts of Norton popups), it finally allowed the new device to appear. We'll see if it stays there.

Don't know about the mystery of the disappearing system tray icons, unless the computer was working hard this week to figure out how to put that new icon there, and it was otherwise disrupting the normal icons - I'll have to fool with that some more.

Maybe this will help someone else with the same problem...

RokuMike

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:00 pm

We have had a veritable avalanche of problems with Norton products, both the firewall type and also the "worm protection" stuff built in to the spam filtering software. Very unfortunate. I'm happy to hear that it's working for you now, though!