Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

brunjest
Topic Author

Roku SoundBridge and Buffering

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:46 am

All,

I have 2 soundbridge devices. One is hard wired and the second is connected over a wireless B network using a Linksys router. I use Windows XP Home SP2 and Media Connect 2.0.

I have ripped most of my music using WMP10 in WMA Lossless format. The hard wired device works great.

But, the wireless device works only sometimes ok. Sometimes it starts re-buffering and cannot keep up with the music encoded in WMA lossless format.

The signal quality is usually 20 or greater. I know the recommendation is for 30 or greater. I have tried my best to change the antennae location and the router location but they are at separate ends of the house and it just doesn't seem to work well. Hard wiring the wireless device is not easy, would require significant work.

Is there a way to configure the Wireless Roku device to tell the Server to always convert the files to WMA 128 bit or something smaller before sending to the wireless device????

But keep the hard wired device as using the lossless format??

Is this possible? I think this would be a great compromise for me. Any other suggestions? The rebuffereing does NOT seem to happen on music encoded in WMA 196 or lower.

I have been using the devices since 9/2005 and they are outstanding. Have ripped all my CDs. I need to make the wireless device reliable. It is not a good selling point when I show my friends how cool this is and the music constantly stops in the middle.

thx,

todd

grommet

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:16 am

The only thing I would recommend is to try different wireless channels, a high-gain antenna for your wireless router, a different wireless router... in that order. Fix the problem, and don't work around it.

One more change you can try: Stop using the built-in wireless and use a wireless bridge (802.11g, or even 802.11a if you use that) and plug the SoundBridge into that using it's Ethernet port... it may work better for you.

mjl

Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:08 pm

I've have the problem, uninstalled and reinstalled WMC numerous times, changed router settings, etc, etc. WMC2 does not work for me and contacted Roku and they have no answers. Slimserver, Twonky and itunes all work flawlessly either wired or wirelessly.

Roku - just ignore that many users have this problem then maybe it will just go away. Well plays for sure for some users is good enough.

RokuMike

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:35 pm

mjl, I'm sorry you're having problems. I honestly don't know what to tell you. By your own statement, the other servers work fine, so that strongly suggests that the problem lies with WMC, which we have no control over.

Also, what do you mean when you say that WMC2 doesn't work for you?

Have you tried the Microsoft support forum, by chance?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... g=en&cr=US

garyinfante

Just Hooked Mine Up and have a buffering problem

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:42 pm

Just hooked my new unit up using the provided wireless card. I am using Itunes and my music library are all wav files created by Itunes. The problem thusfr is that the device rebuffers thte song about every 15 seconds. What is the problem and how do I fixit? This just won't do.

mjl

Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:44 am

RokuMike wrote:
Also, what do you mean when you say that WMC2 doesn't work for you?

Have you tried the Microsoft support forum, by chance?

When I say it does not work I was agree to previous statements in this statement. Whenever I use WMC2 it plays a song for about 15 to 30 seconds and then skips to the next song. It does this for any item selected to play. Completely worthless.

I've looked at the WMC forum and no luck finding and answer.

grommet

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:22 pm

mjl, if only WMC 2 is not working... it's probably something related to WMC 2, an OS component that it depends on, or something just odd with your system. Yes, a "problem" in your OS can cause grief. The "ultimate test" is to install WMC 2 on a fresh OS build on the same box and see what happens. (Use a new disk, or borrow one. A low capacity disk is almost free. After the test, just pop the original disk back in. No data loss.) That would at least narrow it down.

Yes, it's an "awful thing" to do a full OS build to try to fix something... but the effort involved in actually diagnosing an odd issue might exceed the grief caused by starting from scratch.

Anyway, this thread has been hijacked... the original poster only had wireless issues. WMC 2 worked fine hardwired.
Last edited by grommet on Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

RokuPatrick

Re: Just Hooked Mine Up and have a buffering problem

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:16 am

garyinfante wrote:
Just hooked my new unit up using the provided wireless card. I am using Itunes and my music library are all wav files created by Itunes. The problem thusfr is that the device rebuffers thte song about every 15 seconds. What is the problem and how do I fixit? This just won't do.

Gary, what is the strength/quality of the wireless signal on your SoundBridge? Is the server also wireless? I ask because WAV has siginificantly higher bandwidth requirements than compressed music formats. Depending on compressed format, WAV can require up to 10 times the bandwidth of an MP3 or AAC. If you server is wireless as well, then the requirement is doubled.

I would suggest you try to improve your wireless signal quality (if it is less than 25) and wire the server (if it is not already).

garyinfante

Buffering

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:32 pm

The router is a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router, connected to the wall with CAT5 . The signal strengh is 33 at best and lower sometimes. Is the best course to fix this issue to store another library of MP3s (or another formoat if you recommend it) as I have plenty of disk space to play with.

Thanks

Gary

brunjest
Topic Author

I am so freakking happy right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:01 pm

All,

I went ahead an purchased a Linksys WET54G Wireless G Bridge as recommended by others on this forum.

It works!!!!!!!!!!!! After 4.5 hours of flower.

I am sitting in my living room listening to my WMA Lossless encoded music and no, absolutely no, rebuffering. I even had the micro-wave going for 3 minutes and it had no affect.

It was a royal pain in the ass to get configured. I spent 2.5 hours with one lady from Linksys and she was clueless, and couldn't speak english but she tried her best and then eventually disconnected me. The second person help me get it configured. I think there were 3 issues, 1 - i have a vonage router which has DHCP server and a second wireless G router, so the gateway was the wireless G router, 2 - do NOT use DHCP on a wireless G bridge, use a static IP and 3. flower Media Connect 2.0 doesn't seem to recongize a MAC address that once existed as a different IP address. You need to wait 30 minutes, reboot the server, type a question to Roku forum, hit send, reboot again, have the roku server receive the question, and flip the imaginary bit on the box on the moon, and then magically the XP Home server will recognize the M1000 device again. Sure seems like magic to me.

But in any case, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you grommet!!

I have gone from a $200 device that my wife snickered about to a $300 device that at least works. Sure wish Soundbridge worked with Wireless G out of the box.

thx,

todd

RokuMike

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:20 am

Hi Gary,

I use the same Belkin router at my house and play all my AIFF files (almost the same as WAV) wirelessly without rebuffering. The key: the server computer is wired to the network. I strongly discourage anybody from trying to stream uncompressed with a wireless server. It just doesn't work well.

Matthew Flinton

Rebuffering

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:18 am

I have the same problem but it is intermitent streaming through a linksys Linksys WRT54GS. The device works flawlessly for days at a time an then sulks for a day or so and then pulls itself together.

The wierd thing is that interenet radio works fine during the sulk I just cant get any tracks off the computer.

I think the problems really started when I changed to WMC 2.0. Does any know where I can get another copy of WMC 1.0 WHICH from memory worked fine?

Matthew Flinton

Windows Media Connect 1.0 not a solution

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 am

I have now managed to download WMC 1.0 and this shows the same problems unfortunately.

Matthew Flinton

Upgrading to 2.5 beta doesnt solve the prblem either

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:31 am

I have tried this in desparation but that hasnt cured it either

dandean

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:36 am

I'm feeling your pain bro.

I've struggled with this buffering issue for weeks now and haven't come up with an answer yet.

My M500 is receiving a pretty decent signal quality (59), the signal itself is -35db, and the noise is -94db.

Get this: I place the M500 just ONE FOOT away from the Linksys BEW11S4 router and guess what? Constant, CONSTANT re-buffering. Clearly, the wireless signal strength isn't the issue. (I even went out and bought a Linksys WRE54G Range Expander, thinking it would solve the problem. Wrong.

Connected via ethernet cable? The M500 works like a champ. Absolutely no buffering issues whatsoever. But switch back to the wireless card and forget it - the unit simply can't buffer fast enough to assure an uninterrupted stream (BTW, all I want to do is listen to internet radio; I'm not streaming video at all).

So, I'll probably continue to play around with the M500 a little while longer before putting it up for sale on Ebay. In the meantime, I'm going to start looking around for some other network media device that doesn't have this buffering issue. Got any recommendations?