Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjl

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:43 am

I have a SB500 and SB1000 and both will not work (constant beuffering and skipping) WMC2 either wired or wirelessly however Twonky, iTunes and Slimserver work flawlessly either wirelessly or wired. May want to give them a try before selling.

Matthew Flinton

Alternative devices

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:05 am

No suggestions for alternative devices as the Soundbridge I have is my first venture into this brave new world.

The really maddening thing is that mine works a treat for days on end then shuts up shop and I have no idea why.

What I really want is ROKU to work out what the problem is so i can fix it. HINT, HINT!

Matthew Flinton

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:09 am

itUNES I assume wont work as I have my files stored as WMA files.

I tried Slimserver and Twonky yesterday.

Slimsever simply would not launch as all and Twonky was very unuser friendly so it was difficult to tell if it was working properly but seemed to have exactly the same issue.

Matthew Flinton

The end of the road -unless anyone else has any bright ideas

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:14 pm

I have now set both my computer and the Soundbridge to static IP addresses as that appeared to be the solution for some people. That hasnt worked either, i still have the same problems. Any other bright ideas anyone?

Matthew Flinton

Another failed attempt

Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:32 pm

Have now got Slimserver working but this exhibits exactly the same problem as WMC (as did Twonky). So it is not the server software. Internet radio still works fine so the network is OK.

Yours in confusion, Matthew.

Rich Hamilton

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:24 pm

All,

It seems you're really never gonna get better than using a wired connection to your music server (hey, 10/Half isn't all that bad). Other than the occasional dropped song (very rare - 1 in 100 songs or so), my M1001 plays flawlessly.

Our overly industrialized societies are just awash in stray radio signals that we can never truly isolate from devices looking for specific radio frequencies to gather data from. Maybe try installing a lead pipe from your router to your Roku to keep them out?

Case in point: look how many people on this forum say that their "acid test" to see if their Roku is getting a truly uninterrupted wireless signal is to turn on their microwave oven for a few minutes to see if their Roku skips songs. Every electrical appliance in your home is now suspect.

I spent many hours in my hot attic with a 1000' roll of CAT5e plenum cable just to avoid all of the issues I knew would occur using wireless (enough bad experiences at work using wireless convinced me it's an imperfect, unreliable medium at best). For a single PC or laptop, it works well, but when many users or streaming data is being used (both of which require significant bandwidth), they'll eventually overwhelm the access point, especially when there's alot of stray signals for the access point to sift through.

I know some of you don't have the option of running CAT5 in your attic, but if you have the home, the time and the energy, I highly recommend it. Then anything you put on your network will always work at full bandwidth for each device with minimal interference, even if it is 10Mbit - half duplex.

Matthew Flinton

Wireless operation

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:13 am

I bought the unit in order to remove the need to send wires from the office to the living room so putting in wires defeats the point.

Does any expert think that the new Beta software might be causing the issue. I have my music stored as WMA Lossless and the new software has a setting to request conversion if available on the server. There seems to be no way to switch this off. Might this be the cause of the problem?

bpa

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:08 pm

How is your PC connected to the router ?
If the PC is using wirless and you are using WAV then you will probably get bandwidth problem unless you have perfect wireless connections between router and PC and router and Roku.

To test if it is a bandwidth issue - use slimserver and turn on BitRate limiter (Player/Audio settings) on data to your roku and reduce the bandwidth to something like 192.

Matthew Flinton

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Thaks for the suggestion. My router is connected to my PC by wireless so this may be the issue.

However Slimserver says I need to install LAME and sends me here http://lame.sourceforge.net/ but does not tell me what I need to do to install LAME. I am using XP.

bpa

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:42 pm

You can download the 3.96.1 version of lame from here
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm
The lame exe needs to be installed on the Windows path - Windows searches for exe's in all folders on the path but if you are only going to use lame foir slimserver, install it in the bin sub-directory in rhe slimserver directory.

What file types are you streaming from your PC to Roku ?

Matthew Flinton

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:26 pm

I am streaming WMA Lossless

Matthew Flinton

Network capacity and wireless G

Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:50 am

My network capacity must be OK as I now have a laptop which is able to play the tracks on my office computer over the wireless network faultlessly even in the graden!. So it is definitely a problem with the soundbridge.

Does anyone know whether the M1000 would support wireless G if the wireless card was swapped from the current wireless b card to a wireless g one?

Matthew Flinton

Now I have a defintie problem Houston

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:57 pm

In an attempt to get to get some joy by connecting the unit up to a wired connection I tried moving it and connecting it up to the ethernet connection on my computer. It now says "No net connection [etc]" even when I retry the wireless card. I have tried resetting the unit to factory defaults but that doesnt help either. I think I need a new unit.

davwebb

Ethernet

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Hopefully you didn't try a different wireless card. The only compatible one (according to Roku) is the supplied card. How did you connect to the computer? If you went directly to the NIC, then I think you need a crossover cable...

Matthew Flinton

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:37 pm

I only used the supplied wireless card and tried both a normal and a cross over cable with no luck.