Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Alex2004
Topic Author

m1000 not connecting to Airport/Powerbook.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:56 am

Hi I have a Powerbook G4 connected to a wireless network using airport extreme connected to an X modem, I have tried to connect my M1000 to the network but with no luck!

I have a European Wifi card installed (I live in the UK) and the M1000 recognizes my Airport and name but does not connect. The soundbridge is running 1.1.10. The error message is 'couldn't connect to airport....configure wifi'

itunes is running with the share music facility is on and I have tried the hex password and ASCII option as well.

I need help as I have tried all of the obvious options. Help :(

vs

Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:57 pm

Alex2004,

First thing you should do is connect your SB to wired network and upgrade to version 2.1.20. This may resolve your wireless issue. Remember to remove the WiFi card when you connect the Ethernet cable.

Hope this is of some help.

RokuMike

Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:21 pm

Hi Alex,

I would also check to be sure that you are using the correct hex key. What you need is the "Equivalent Network Password", available from the Airport Setup Utility on your Mac. Your SoundBridge should have come with a little booklet describing how to get that key. If you don't find that booklet, it's also available here:

http://www.rokulabs.com/support/sbwifisetup.php

Alex2004
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:55 am

I have now hard wired my Roku and updated the software to the latest version. Thanks VS......however still problems with the M1000 trying to connect to my network....the network name is showing but password not working.

I have tried the Hex equivelent password and also the ASII password but still no joy!

I have had success with M1000 wired via an ethernet cable abd also had results when I used my network with no sercurity!

So it seems to me that there is a sercurity box that needs to be checked /unchecked to allow the M1000 to connect to my network somewhere within my Apple setup! I have searched High and low and am at a loss what to try next! :(

Any thoughts......

neilaevans

Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:03 am

Is Airport encrypted with WEP or with WPA? I'm pretty sure the Soundbridge only handles WEP at this point. You may need to change your encryption type.

vs

Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:05 pm

Here's something else to try; most wireless routers (I'm not sure about Airport though) have a setting for authentication. Generally, they are set to "Automatic", however you should probably select "open" or "open system" to begin with.

The other authentication type is "shared key" - you may also want to give that a go if the option is available.

Again, not familiar with Airport....

Alex2004
Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:24 am

Thanks for all your suggestions......I have now managed to sort out the problem!

After trying practically everything I reset the Airport base station and this resolved the issue> I think it returned the Airport to open/shared!

Anyway it is up and running and is totally awesome!

I would say to those considering buying one of these that if it does not work or if you have problems you are some what on your own. I think a tech line would be very helpful for Roku new customers.......
:D