Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

michaelkinahan
Topic Author

Newbie Problems Setup!

Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:07 am

Hi, I have just got the Soundbridge 1000, and for the life of me i can not get it to work properly, i have a limited knowledge of computers, and i know nothing about networks!
I have XP Pro, with SP2, linked to a Linksys WRT54g router through a ethernet card and cable, also in the tower a Linksys PCI adapter card WMP54G.
I have looked in the manual many times to try and work it out, I have downloaded Windows Media connect, but that does not see any device what so ever, i then downloaded Firefly Media server, the only good point is now the M1000 displays play firefly media server, i press play, it starts scanning then comes up with 'Connection to server failed'
The M1000 can play internet radio trough the Router, but can not see the Tower.
I have even got a Linksys notebook adpater WPC54G, but i cant hook it up to that either!

Please help as this weather is really getting me hot and bothered, so before I do somthing drastick to me computer any help would be greatful!

Michael

mr rusty

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:25 pm

could be a firewall thing. try either disabling the fw temporarily and/or adding the server applications to the allowed list in the firewall. You could also try addingthe IP range of your network.

michaelkinahan
Topic Author

Thanks!

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:32 am

Thanks I finally got it going! Yippee! Now its going could u advise what is better to use iTunes Rhapsody or any other player?
Just trying to get the radio snooper to find stations, but not only no stations but it cant even find my Soundbridge!
I have made sure the firewall gives permission to the internet.
The snooper has been running half an hour now and has only found 1 station,which is not supported ( code OGG)
Cheers

mr rusty

Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:50 am

snooper uses universal plug n play uPnP which is not activated by default. Add?remove windows components/networking/uPnP without uPnP snooper can't see soundbridge

Watch out tho, cos there appears to be a bug that some users get (inc me) that makes some sys tray icons not show up when uPnP is activated.

M@rk

Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:03 am

mr rusty wrote:
there appears to be a bug that some users get (inc me) that makes some sys tray icons not show up when uPnP is activated.

Yep I get this - AFAIK it's the SSDP Discovery Service which uPnP depends on that causes this.

michaelkinahan
Topic Author

Still Trying!

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:47 pm

Well I tried that! And guess what?? Still no joy.
Done what you suggested with the uPnP thingy, just about to go to Roku home page and have a looky about.
Also can you suggest something for me in regards as in August i am having a party and in the proccess of building a folder full of good music, but can the soundbridge do 'Crossfade' as i dont want gaps if i can help it???
Cheers

RokuMike

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Hi,

SoundBridge does not support cross-fade playback, I'm afraid.

I'd be interested in hearing what was the source of your original problem. From your description, I would guess a firewall issue, but I'm not certain.

Regarding which library is best, it really depends upon what you want to do. Rhapsody is a great service (I use it myself), but not the most capable music server for your own music. iTunes and Firefly are both fast, high-performance servers. WMC is a good server, and is required if you want to play content purchased from a Plays For Sure music store.

At home, I have been using iTunes as my primary server, with Rhapsody also running for my subscription content. Now that Firefly is available, I've been transitioning over to using it in place of iTunes.