Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

777twist
Topic Author

Static Wireless IP

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:01 pm

I have read through a lot of info today... I'm trying to get my Roku M1000 to have a static IP.

It seems like if it doesn't, I end up having to create various exceptions so it will see the Itunes library. Granted, today I went through a lot of troubleshooting before I read the thing about Itunes 7.0 messing up the connectivity with our Rokus.

Anyway, is there a way to set a wireless static IP. I went through the instructions on how to set one for a wired setup...and that worked, but when I took the ethernet cable out and put in the wireless card, it went back to that temp IP with no DNS.

I don't know if it's just me and the fact that I have set up WEP security, but I have had this unit (and a 2000) for like 4 or so years and I always have problems. I really just want to be able to turn it on and have it work.

Granted, this latest problem was probably caused by Itunes, but I have had so many little issues (firewalls, routers...power failures, etc...) and I think having a static IP would fix at least some of those.

If anyone can help... I still love the product.

wideasleep1

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Repeat same process for wireless, as you did for wired (connect to Roku wirelessly and telnet).
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

777twist
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:59 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:
Repeat same process for wireless, as you did for wired (connect to Roku wirelessly and telnet).

I think I found my problem...I just don't know how to resolve it yet. I went out yesterday and upgraded my router (since I was working on a old wired one) to one with wireless built in.

But on the setup screen...when I change the IP to 169.254.19.63 (the linklocal address), I noticed that the Netmask on the Roku is set to 255.255.0.0...but my new Linksys router (WRT350N) doesn't seem to give me a choice for that.

So I have to figured out how to change that ...I'm thinking that's the problem anyway.

Because, when I launch the telnet, it just gives me the ... and then goes away.

777twist
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:37 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/sbstaticip.php

Actually, that url is no longer good since the redesign. Here's the content, though:
Quote:
SoundBridge Static IP Assignment

You can manually assign the IP information for the SoundBridge by using the below instructions. These instructions are for Windows XP. If you are using an operating system other than Windows XP, you will need to know how to telnet and obtain/change your IP information using that operating system to follow the instructions below.

Verify Your Network Settings

* Connect the SoundBridge to your router using an Ethernet cable. If your SoundBridge includes a removable WiFi card, please remove it. Reboot the SoundBridge by unplugging it and plugging it back in.
* Check the IP address that you are getting on your SoundBridge by going to System Configuration > Show Wired Ethernet Status from the SoundBridge main menu. You will need to scroll down to find the IP address.
* Write down the IP address, netmask, and gateway listed.
* On your computer go to Start > Run….
* Type cmd and select Ok.
* At the prompt type ipconfig and then press Enter.
* Write down the IP address, netmask, and gateway listed.

The SoundBridge address and the computer address will need to be on the same network in order to configure the static IP. The IP numbers should be similar, but the last number should be different. If your computer's IP starts with 192.168 and the SoundBridge's IP starts with 169.254, you will need to change the IP on your computer to be on the same network as the SoundBridge. Proceed to Change Your Computer's IP Address if these numbers are different. Otherwise, skip to Telnet to the SoundBridge.

Change Your Computer's IP Address

The following instructions are used to configure your computer to the same network as the SoundBridge if the SoundBridge has a link local (169.254) address.

* On the computer go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections.
* Right-click on the appropriate adapter (this is usually Local Area Network) and choose Properties.
* Double-Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and choose Use the following IP address:. Enter 169.254.1.1 for the address and 255.255.0.0 for the network mask. The default gateway can be left blank. Click Ok and Ok again to dismiss the dialogs.

The computer should now be configured to communicate with the SoundBridge.

Telnet to the SoundBridge

* On the computer click on Start and select Run….
* Type telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 4444. The xs should be replaced with the IP address of the SoundBridge that you obtained in Verify Your Network Settings.If you do not know this address, go to System Configuration > Show Wired Ethernet Status from the SoundBridge main menu and the scroll down until you see IP Address.

Configure the IP Address

You should now be at the SoundBridge prompt.

* Type ipset and then press Enter.
* You will now be asked whether you wish to do an Automatic or Manual assignment. Enter M for manual and press Enter.
* For the IP address, you will want to enter a valid IP address (ex. 192.168.1.2).
* For the Netmask enter 255.255.255.0.
* For the Gateway enter the IP address of your router (ex. 192.168.1.1).
* You may be able to use your router as the DNS address. If this does not work, then you can obtain correct DNS addresses by accessing the configuration pages of your router. Etiher enter the IP address of your router for DNS1 and DNS2 or use the DNS addresses listed on your router's configuration pages.

The static IP change for your SoundBridge should now be complete. If you changed the IP address of your computer to do this, change the IP address back to DHCP addressing at this time.

* On the computer go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections.
* Right-click on the appropriate adapter (this is usually Local Area Network) and choose Properties.
* Double-Click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and choose Obtain an IP address automatically.
* Click Ok and then Ok to close out the dialogs.

Going Back to DHCP Addressing

If you want to stop using static IP addressing and revert back to using DHCP addressing with the SoundBridge follow the below instructions.

* Select System Configuration > Reset to Factory Defaults from the SoundBridge main menu.
* When asked whether or not you wish to continue, select Yes.

Your SoundBridge will then reboot. This will clear your static settings and reconfigure the SoundBridge to work with DHCP.

TheEndless

Ok everyone... I saw a lot of posts about static IP's and wireless setups and since I just went through all this I wanted to help clear up some of the things that you may miss.

First off, we all need to read more carefully. I was trying to change the IP in my router to match the SoundBridge...and that was wrong.

Just change your computer's IP to match (actually the last number will be different) the SB.

Also, the easiest way to do this in wireless mode is to do it without any security.

By rights, if you can connect without any security enabled to the SB...you may not even have to change the IP on your computer.

So once (or if they started the same) the IPs match (again, last number is different), you can go through the TELNET procdure above to set a static IP for the SB in wireless mode.

That's really about it... I seemed to have some additional problems when enabling WEP security and using key 2... so I switched to key 1 and everything showed up and with the security I wanted.

I'm also running Firefly... (since Itunes broke) and so far it seems like it's working ok.

I hope this helps some of the newbies...like me. I wasn't getting some of the concepts since I don't do this every day.

Good luck.

flaminghomer

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:18 pm

First off, we all need to read more carefully. I was trying to change the IP in my router to match the SoundBridge...and that was wrong.

D-oh! This is exactly what I did. :roll: Thanks 777twist! I think I get it now. :idea:

By the way, assuming I don't want to go the Bonjour/Firefly route because:

1) my PC is getting on in years and can barely handle what's on there now...and
2) when I tried to run Firefly it just kept scanning and scanning and logged a whole bunch of errors,

will anything bad happen if I go back to iTunes6? My actual music files are on an external drive, so I can keep them isolated while I do the downgrade (and that's good, right?).

Thanks everyone for all the great info.
flaminghomer