Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

joetesta
Topic Author

Roku Express will not connect to particular wifi

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 am

i have a wifi router at my desk.  i'm able to connect to the wifi with Roku Premiere and my laptop no problem.  I've tried over and over from Roku Express and for some reason it will not connect to this particular wifi.  The first check mark (your wireless network) always displays a red X after a few seconds.  It's able to connect to another wifi (which I do not have access to the router to admin) but the one at my desk I do have access to.  I rebooted the wifi router, rebooted the roku, checked that wifi is enabled, saw that one of my colleagues can connect their Roku Premiere to my wifi from much further away.

Why would Roku Express be unable to connect to my wifi?  Help!

Imagine if I were an end user with only one network and this was my first Roku purchase!   Horrible experience - does not work at all!
Last edited by joetesta on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
aspiring

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku Express will not connect to particular wifi

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 am

what are the settings on said WiFi?
open/WEP/WPA/WPA2, frequency, which channel etc... gory details?
sounds silly but can't exclude the player having bad attitude to some of it

joetesta
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 am

EnTerr wrote:
what are the settings on said WiFi?
open/WEP/WPA/WPA2, frequency, which channel etc... gory details?
sounds silly but can't exclude the player having bad attitude to some of it

Thanks EnTerr - I'm sure it must be something like that (player has bad attitude to a particular setting) since it can connect to another wifi.  And other Rokus can connect to this wifi.  Bizarre.  Now I need to go back onto that network to look.  Gimme a minute now that I set up everything on the wifi this Express was able to connect to (which I do not have access to see the settings).
aspiring

joetesta
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 am

I found there are different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  Everything else is connecting to the 5 GHz just fine.  This Roku Express was able to connect to the 2.4 GHz SSID only, never the 5 GHz.
Does Roku Express + not support 5GHz wifi?  Might have been useful to note that on the box or somewhere...!

For reference, these are the wifi settings:

5GHz 11a/n/ac mixed 
Channel Auto

2.4 GHz 11bgn mixed
Channel width Auto
Channel Auto

Security WPA/WPA2 - Personal
Version Automatic
Encryption AES
aspiring

joetesta
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Well turns out this is by design; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
Express and Express + support only b/g/n
whereas Premiere and Premiere + support a/b/g/n/ac dual-band
I wonder how end users figure this out.
aspiring

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Well, they could look at the specs on the product page:
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

I don't know what the retail box looks like -- it doesn't list the network specs on the box?

--Mark

joetesta
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:56 pm

No the box I have says "What you need" - "Wireless Router".  No mention that it has to be a certain kind of wireless router.  There's also nothing about this in the "Let's get started!" pamphlet included in the box.
aspiring

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Or as i remember RokuMarkn saying :twisted:, "sometimes Wikipedia has it right"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
The Espressos apparently are 2.4GHz only (reminder, 802.11n does not necessitate 5GHz band).

PS. no, wait - the quote was even better

Neitzsche_Pizza

Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:54 pm

Goddamn, this sucks. I had to find this thread in the forums just to figure out why I couldn't connect to the 5ghz network. They know flower well they should've put only supports 2.4ghz on the Express box. Bad show, Roku, bad show.
Yes, I know I spelled Nietzsche wrong.

RokuNB

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Neitzsche_Pizza wrote:
Goddamn, this sucks. I had to find this thread in the forums just to figure out why I couldn't connect to the 5ghz network. They know flower well they should've put only supports 2.4ghz on the Express box. Bad show, Roku, bad show.

Conversely, whoever configured the WiFi should have known full-well to leave it working on 2.4GHz as well as on 5GHz - or split them under two different SSIDs. 2.4GHz has better coverage (more penetrating and "bends" better around obstacles), while 5GHz is shorter distance but less crowded (no interference).

blakeyrat

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:00 pm

Great snarky reply, but you *do* realize the Amazon product page for the Roku Express currently says it supports Dual-Band, and I bought it specifically for that feature? I'm not an idiot, I checked before buying.

Even worse, now Amazon's wanting to charge me $8 to send it back, even though their product page had the wrong information. So I'm out $8 because of this. Thanks, Roku.

And for the record, no, this information does not appear anywhere on the box or the manual. Why would it? That might be actually useful.

EDIT: and now of course that I'm trying to verify this, the Q&A answer that said it supported dual-band is gone. Goddamnedit.

blakeyrat

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:07 pm

blakeyrat wrote:
Great snarky reply, but you *do* realize the Amazon product page for the Roku Express currently says it supports Dual-Band, and I bought it specifically for that feature? I'm not an idiot, I checked before buying.

Even worse, now Amazon's wanting to charge me $8 to send it back, even though their product page had the wrong information. So I'm out $8 because of this. Thanks, Roku.

And for the record, no, this information does not appear anywhere on the box or the manual. Why would it? That might be actually useful.

EDIT: and now of course that I'm trying to verify this, the Q&A answer that said it supported dual-band is gone. Goddamnedit.

Ok I was not crazy, here it is: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx13TPRF2SUJ0I9/ref=ask_sa_saa_al_hza
The answer from rickr1953 (now at the bottom because I voted it wrong) clearly said the product supports dual-band. Now I'm out money because he's a liar. Great.

joetesta
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 am

Yeah no way the average consumer who picks it up while wandering through a retail store would have any clue about 802.11X, Y, or Z, or 2.4, 2.5 or any other decimal you might throw their way.
It's odd they won't admit this is a screw up, that there is zero mention of it anywhere on the box or in the included materials.
aspiring

Komag

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

To be a little fair to Amazon, it never says it in the main description either, only some guy who gave an answer in the "regular people can give answers" section, which is never guaranteed to be right nor backed by Amazon - how could it be?

joetesta
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Amazon?  I thought we were ranting about Roku not admitting they forgot to mention on the box or in the pamphlet which wifi protocol the device supports or doesn't  :evil:
aspiring