Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
24i
Streaming Star

RAF and ui_resolutions=fhd problem on some devices

Hi,

We are having a problem with displaying DFP ads where the ad is not displayed in fullscreen but covers only a portion of the left corner of the screen. Photo for clarification: http://i.imgur.com/gYf9WuY.jpg

We are using this sample url:
https://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad ... orrelator=

The issue occurs on these devices:
- Roku Express
- Roku Stick 3500 
- Roku Stick 3600X
- Roku 3
Which all have the max ui resolution of "1280x720" according to this page:
https://github.com/rokudev/docs/blob/ma ... es.md#giga

So it appears (again) that the issue is caused due to the ui_resolutions setting. We have our channels configured with 'fhd' and it only appears to fully work with the 'hd' setting. We think that this is a bug within the RAF.

Anyone else having this problem? 

Thanks,
24i
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: RAF and ui_resolutions=fhd problem on some devices

I just plugged your URL in couple of test apps (SDK1 and RSG), set ui_resolutions=fhd and there was no problem playing pre/mid/post-rolls - they showed full screen. And i verified the UI was in 1080 too.

So, something else must be funky in your app. What kind of app is that? If SDK1, is it canvas or roScreen; if RSG - do you use the old way or the newly published native integration? And so on, spill the beans. Feel invited to provide a minimal example that demonstrates the issue.
0 Kudos
24i
Streaming Star

Hi RokuNB,

Thanks for your quick response. It is concerning an RSG app. Here is an example app containing the issue described above:

https://github.com/tim1256/RAF4RSG-sample

We forked the RAF4RSG example app supplied by Roku and edited the manifests ui_resolutions to use 'fhd' instead of 'hd' and added the following ad url: https://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?sz=640x480&iu=/124319096/external/ad_rule_samples&ciu_sz...

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Thanks 24i -
that is a great way to reproduce the issue, by simply plugging the URL in that sample - appreciate it!

Yes, i can see the issue - when the app is manifested as FHD but playing in HD UI - the video is shrunken as shown on the image. We'll look into it.

Until this is fixed - i doubt you will like that - but a workaround for the time being is to design the app for

• ui_resolutions=hd or

• ui_resolutions=hd,fhd

(i think any ui_resolutions that contains "hd" - or no ui_resolutions manifested, which implies "sd,hd")
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

There is a 3rd possible workaround i can think of, if really really insisting on designing the channel for FHD only:

• Do not supply the 3rd, optional parameter `view` in showAds()

When present, it indicates to RAF to use the native-RSG implementation which currently exhibits the issue.

If no 3rd param however, RAF would suspend roSgScreen temporarily - then use the legacy (SDK1) ads implementation, which does not have the issue - and then resume RSG. NB: when using the RAF's non-native-RSG implementation, the getAds()/showAds() calls have to be done "the old way" - from the main thread, not from a RSG task.

That's a temporary band-aid to be sure. The issue will be resolved in a following version of RAF. 
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuNB" wrote:
 If no 3rd param however, RAF would suspend roSgScreen temporarily - then use the legacy (SDK1) ads implementation, which does not have the issue - and then resume RSG.

So it must create a roScreen to do this, yes? 
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
So it must create a roScreen to do this, yes? 

It may create temporarily a roScreen, or roImageCanvas, or something else from SDK1, yes.
0 Kudos
24i
Streaming Star

"RokuNB" wrote:
There is a 3rd possible workaround i can think of, if really really insisting on designing the channel for FHD only:

• Do not supply the 3rd, optional parameter `view` in showAds()

When present, it indicates to RAF to use the native-RSG implementation which currently exhibits the issue.

If no 3rd param however, RAF would suspend roSgScreen temporarily - then use the legacy (SDK1) ads implementation, which does not have the issue - and then resume RSG. NB: when using the RAF's non-native-RSG implementation, the getAds()/showAds() calls have to be done "the old way" - from the main thread, not from a RSG task.

That's a temporary band-aid to be sure. The issue will be resolved in a following version of RAF. 

Is there any ETA on the new version of RAF? As all the 'workarounds' are not do-able for us unfortunately.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"24i" wrote:
Is there any ETA on the new version of RAF? As all the 'workarounds' are not do-able for us unfortunately.

A fix for this is under testing. It should be available "soon" but i cannot provide an ETA.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

RAF 2.1 has been released, it addresses this issue.
It has a minimum firmware requirement of 7.6, meaning the library won't update on devices with fw 7.5 and earlier.
Note that 7.6 is mid-rollout right now, so you may have to wait for a complete rollout to reach your devices.
0 Kudos