Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

GetChannelCred

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get GetChannelCred working as intended. It looks like it would be a pretty slick way to authenticate users. Its a bit hard to debug, since I'm guessing that it only works for channels in the store (private or public). Even so, when I've played around with it, I seem to always get an empty json object back.

Here is what I'm trying:
store = CreateObject("roChannelStore")
channelcredjson = store.GetChannelCred().json
pucid = "none"
if channelcredjson <> invalid and channelcredjson <> ""
    channelcredobj = ParseJSON(channelcredjson)
    if channelcredobj<>invalid and channelcredobj.roku_pucid<>invalid
        pucid = channelcredobj.roku_pucid
    end if
end if

When I POST this to my server, pucid == "none"
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: GetChannelCred

It works for me with a private channel, but returns an empty JSON object when sideloaded. Although the docs claim it's of type "JSON", it's really just roString. I didn't bother parsing the JSON object; I just dumped the string. It looks ok to me.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

JT - thanks for the reply. Mind giving us an example of what that roString looks like? Does it have curly braces, etc? (replace some letters/numbers so you don't give away YOUR channelcred 🙂 )
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

{"error":null,"roku_pucid":"eb0a2d4b-0bad-59fe-aae3-25ccfcbf5fbf","token_type":"urn:roku:pucid:token_type:pucid_token"}

This is interesting and I don't know what it means, but when I ran my test channel on my Roku 4 I got back an empty string.  The same channel on my Roku 3 or TV returns something similar to the above.  Make sure you check the value of status.  I've only ever seen two values:  0 when it works and 400 when I get the empty string.  400 is also the value of status I get when sideloaded.

Hope this helps!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos