Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tim_beynart
Topic Author

Brightscript in Tasks, I am clueless, seeing "RENDER Thread" errors

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Ok I have to implement Comscore in a SceneGraph app. All I have from the vendor is a BrightScript file we've been using in our SDK1 app. 
So I include their file in a task like this, where my code is comscore.brs and the vendor code is comscore_4.1503.03.brs:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<component name = "comscore" extends = "task" >
  <interface>
    <function name="setConfig" />
  </interface>
  <script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/cpc/tasks/metrics/comscore.brs"/>
  <script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/cpc/tasks/metrics/vendor/comscore_4.1503.03.brs"/>
</component>

This is a Task Node added to a Group Node added to the Home Scene. When I run the app I get this infuriating error:
BRIGHTSCRIPT: ERROR: roUrlTransfer: creating MAIN|TASK-only component failed on RENDER thread: pkg:/components/cpc/tasks/metrics/vendor/comscore_4.1503.03.brs(719)

How can my task code be running on a render thread? I am calling methods on thei library from functions defined in comscore.brs and triggered using the "continuous server" approach to a task (using observeField with a port). 
WTF is this error??

tim_beynart
Topic Author

Re: Brightscript in Tasks, I am clueless, seeing "RENDER Thread" errors

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 pm

OK found my issue.
I was calling a function using callFunc on my Task, and this in turn used the library code. Apparently callFunc activity does not happen inside the sandbox of a Task.
Once I refactored my code to abandon callFunc and instead use a field observer it started behaving.

RokuNB

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:23 pm

What do you mean by "Comscore" here?
If that's comScore vCE by any chance, so it happens RAF supports that already (inquire within :) ).

tim_beynart
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 am

We have to use Comscore Application tag and Streaming Tag. I just use the library they provide and call the their API, it's dead simple and it took one day to port the SDK1 code to SceneGraph.
Where are the docs for RAF? All I saw was a reference to Comscore in some release notes, but no details. It was easier to just use what I have on hand, which is already familiar.

Tyler Smith

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Tyler Smith
Senior Developer, REDspace
redspace.com

tim_beynart
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 am

@Tyler,
Yeah I have basically memorized that page, but my point is that there is no documentation beyond this single sentence:
Added support for comScore vCE campaign measurement service

RokuNB

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:04 pm

I don't know the operational details but logical first step is contacting comScore ops regarding the (server-side) account setup for using vCE with Roku. Seems good idea also contacting Roku directly, since our partner support likely knows the right comScore contacts.

tim_beynart
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks, I should have added that the docs also point me to a Roku email to talk to a person about integration.
Our Comscore implementation is different from vCE, though.