Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

24i
Topic Author

Registry not cleared after removing channel

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:46 am

Hello,

We are stumbling upon an issue where the registry doesn't appear to be removed/cleared when a channel is removed.
We are saving some data to the registry like autologin and first-time launch. According to the docs this should be deleted after the (private) channel is removed from a device. Even after restarting the device when the channel is removed the registry still returns data when the channel is added again.

"Registry data is removed only when the application explicitly removes it, the user uninstalls the application, which remove the registry for the application, or the user performs a factory reset, which removes the registry for all applications."
- https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roRegistry 

Anyone else having this problem?
The problem seems to occur on all devices we tested (firmware 7.7)

Tyler Smith

Re: Registry not cleared after removing channel

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:30 am

Are you signing multiple apps with the same key?
I believe apps that share a development key also share a single registry section. In this case, the registry would only clear if you delete all apps using that key.
Tyler Smith
Senior Developer, REDspace
redspace.com

24i
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 am

Hi Tyler,

That would explain it. We are using the same developer ID for signing all our internal test channels. 
I should have read the docs better I guess...

Thanks!

johnmarsden

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:56 am

So if that's the case, how do you go about fixing it? Is there an event for when the channel is explicitly removed or something? 

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:05 am

Fixing what? Tyler already gave the solution if you're signing multiple apps/channels with the same key. You have to remove them all (and reboot, I believe) to clear the registry. If you don't like this behavior, then always generate a new key for every channel you develop.

-JT

johnmarsden

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am

renojim wrote:
Fixing what?  Tyler already gave the solution if you're signing multiple apps/channels with the same key.  You have to remove them all (and reboot, I believe) to clear the registry.  If you don't like this behavior, then always generate a new key for every channel you develop.

-JT

That's not a solution though. If there a bunch of apps (5+) and you can't remove them all and also cannot generate a new key for each one, what's the best option? 
Not looking for a "tough luck," answer. Looking for something actually constructive. 

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Unfortunately, I think "tough luck" is the answer. It's not likely the current behavior will ever be changed because there's probably as many reasons for it as against it.

Sorry,
-JT

Komag

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 pm

What's the problem you're trying to solve? You can manually or programmatically edit the registry, clear out parts of it if you want. Is it getting too full or something?

lisakb140

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:15 pm

I am having this problem too, clearing the Registry of user information (logging in/logging out).

I'm using the new SG framework, and it has a deleteRegistry sub function in generalUtilies that looks like this:

sub deleteRegistry(keySection="" As String)
    print "Starting Delete Registry"
    Registry = CreateObject("roRegistry")
    i = 0

if keySection <> "" then
            RegistrySection = CreateObject("roRegistrySection", keySection)
            for each key in RegistrySection.GetKeyList()
                i = i+1
                print "Deleting " keySection + ":" key
                RegistrySection.Delete(key)
            end for
            RegistrySection.flush()
    else

for each section in Registry.GetSectionList()
            RegistrySection = CreateObject("roRegistrySection", section)
            for each key in RegistrySection.GetKeyList()
                i = i+1
                print "Deleting " section + ":" key
                RegistrySection.Delete(key)
            end for
            RegistrySection.flush()
        end for

end if

print i.toStr() " Registry Keys Deleted"
end sub

And I call it with 

deleteRegistry("nameOfRegasString")

However, it seems like this data is still persisting. Has anyone else experienced this and had better luck??

UPDATE: I removed flush() from this function, and that seems to help the problem. I read that flush actually persists data to storage, even in the event of a reboot, so that would make sense why things were still persisting. I'm not 100% sure this was the issue, or if this even resolved....has anyone else had a similar experience with flush()?

squirreltown

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:07 pm

lisakb140 wrote:
.has anyone else had a similar experience with flush()?

If you're not flush()-ing. the data in question won't be saved.  Now, maybe that's what you want, and maybe not. If you are having trouble with things persisting, it means you are not deleting the right things, when you think you are.
Kinetics Screensavers

lisakb140

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:02 am

squirreltown wrote:
lisakb140 wrote:
.has anyone else had a similar experience with flush()?

If you're not flush()-ing. the data in question won't be saved.  Now, maybe that's what you want, and maybe not. If you are having trouble with things persisting, it means you are not deleting the right things, when you think you are.

Thanks, yes, I'm using this when a user logs out of the channel. When I included flush() in this deleteRegistry function, even after going through the steps of "logging out", it still seemed like they would be logged in. 
I guess what I don't understand is why there would be a call to persist data in a function that is supposed to be deleting a registry...it seems counter-productive!

destruk

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:27 am

I wouldn't think deleting the keys would be really necessary.  Usually I simply write a default value to the keys my channel uses instead of deletion, so I don't see this issue.

squirreltown

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Just consider flush() as save. Then it makes sense. And destruk is right, just overwrite the value, not the whole thing.
Kinetics Screensavers

matrixebiz

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:36 pm

How do you change the Dev ID for each channel? if you have 3 channels, do you have to have three different Roku devices signed into with three different developer accounts to save the package from?
Does the Registry also store if the channel is subscribed to or not?

squirreltown

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm

matrixebiz wrote:
How do you change the Dev ID for each channel?  if you have 3 channels, do you have to have three different Roku devices signed into with three different developer accounts to save the package from?

if you are talking about the dev ID that you get along with a password after running GenKey at port 8080  -  No, you don't. You can use the same for multiple channels.

Does the Registry also store if the channel is subscribed to or not?

Only if you make it do so. That's for you to code.
Kinetics Screensavers