Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Is it possible to have set up optional Function parameters?

I can't think of how this can be possible, but it would be convenient for me. Currently, calling a Function must have the exact correct number of parameters. Is there a way to set up so a Function can have optional parameters? I can only think of encasing all the parameters in a single array, therefore there is ONE parameter, and just varying what I include in the array.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Is it possible to have set up optional Function parameters?

Yep, that's a good way. I do this all the time, mostly to run the same function repeatedly with different parameters.

params = { x:1, y:2, title:"This!"}

myFunction (varr, m, params)

local = params.x
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I assume you really mean "optional", not just a parameter with a default value, although I can't really see the difference.
Sub mySub(parm1 as String, parm2=invalid)
  if parm2 <> invalid then
     'do something
  end if
  'do more stuff
End Sub

mySub("hello")
mySub("hello","world")

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
I assume you really mean "optional", not just a parameter with a default value, although I can't really see the difference.

Right, it's "the same difference" :). One can declare default values for some at the end of the list of arguments - and can check for default value as a flag if it was omitted. In other lagnguages (e.g. Lua) this is so idiomatic that does not have to spec it - if a function is called will less than the declared arguments, the rest are padded with `nil` (AKA null, invalid). This can be argued double-edged sword.

Coming from other scripting languages - like say Python - you would have heard the above approach as "default argument values". Another approach of Keyword Arguments can easily be simulated in BrS by passing a dictionary with key-value pairs.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Wow, I just got to test that out, that's exactly what I was talking about, and it's something I didn't know about due to still be a newbie! Thanks! 😄
0 Kudos