Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhishek
Channel Surfer

Image Caching in Scene Graph

Is it possible to cache the images with Poster node? 

earlier roTextureManager used to help in caching the bitmaps, do we have any alternative in SceneGraph?

Issue is if we try to load many images from network for a screen, it loads the images in random way which is clearly visible to the user. Very bad performace experience.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Image Caching in Scene Graph

I believe the SG firmware should cache on its own, but has some logic to discard content as new content comes in so as not to overflow.
You could also build your own caching in the code but I don't think caching images will be a good idea vs letting firmware handle it.
Are you seeing this on high end devices?  I'm sure there are other workarounds you could do to force it to load sequentially or simultaneously.  If there are many nodes on a screen you may try to limit content assignment and loading to only those that are visible at the time.
aspiring
0 Kudos
abhishek
Channel Surfer

Re: Image Caching in Scene Graph

"joetesta" wrote:
I believe the SG firmware should cache on its own, but has some logic to discard content as new content comes in so as not to overflow.
You could also build your own caching in the code but I don't think caching images will be a good idea vs letting firmware handle it.
Are you seeing this on high end devices?  I'm sure there are other workarounds you could do to force it to load sequentially or simultaneously.  If there are many nodes on a screen you may try to limit content assignment and loading to only those that are visible at the time.

If SG firmware caches on its own then that's what I want the confirmation from Roku Team. Would be better to know how it works also if possible.
Yes, we can do workarounds to load sequentially but it will show the lagging in one or another way without caching (based on the user actions). 
On high-end devices, it is better than the low-end devices, but we need to support all Roku devices available in the market at least what Roku team officially support.
The content assignment is already limited to the visible one but we need to consider the user scrolling also, right.
0 Kudos