Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvjay
Channel Surfer

Major blinking appears when poster is in focus

I have an app that Roku is kicking back because of "Major blinking appears when a 'Live' poster is in focus." The 'Live' poster in question is a single item in the first row of a two row layout where the second row contains about 50 items. For background I modified the "Simple Grid with Video" template from the Roku SDK that contains the fading background animation. Does anyone know what causes the grid screen to blink and redraw the entire screen? In my testing it appears that the problem is releated to the OnBackgroundLoaded function....

Sub OnBackgroundLoaded()
    m.fadeinAnimation.control = "start"
End Sub

because it is being called more then once because the bitmapWidth is changing, sometimes several times per item focus change. I should note that this problem mostly happens when going up a row.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Major blinking appears when poster is in focus

"tvjay" wrote:

because it is being called more then once because the bitmapWidth is changing, sometimes several times per item focus change. 

That seems wrong and bad.  I haven't looked at that example in a bit but shouldn't "OnBackgroundLoaded" be called only once?
Usually blinking screens happens when a content set is assigned to an already-on-screen component and the solution can be to temporarily hide that component while the content is being updated.
hope it may help
aspiring
0 Kudos
tvjay
Channel Surfer

"joetesta" wrote:
That seems wrong and bad.  I haven't looked at that example in a bit but shouldn't "OnBackgroundLoaded" be called only once?
Usually blinking screens happens when a content set is assigned to an already-on-screen component and the solution can be to temporarily hide that component while the content is being updated.
hope it may help

Oh no, I think that is very bad. OnBackgroundLoaded is called whenever bitmapWidth changes.and sometimes it changes once, other times it changes six times as it just depends on the content being loaded. One thing I did check is that the content is all the same size.
I am interested in trying to hide the the component but what component are you talking about? Are you saying to hide the item in focus or the background?
0 Kudos
tvjay
Channel Surfer

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I found that the problem is related to the fact that the thumbnails I am using are 1280x720. In the demo app they are only 540x304. If I take my thumbnails and resize them down to 540x304 then the blinking goes away. My "expert" opinion is that the Roku isn't powerful enough to draw HD thumbnails for both the background and row items.
0 Kudos