Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bk_chicago
Visitor

I can connect on 8080 but I can see anything in Debug 8085

I'm trying to capture the debug logs but when I connect I see nothing but a prompt, I assume I should be seeing any activity on the Roku while connected but I don't.  As a side note I can connect via 8080.  Am I missing a step to see the logs?  ---Sorry, I'm pretty new at this.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: I can connect on 8080 but I can see anything in Debug 8085

Since you said you're pretty new, pardon me if I'm being too basic.

First, the Development Application Installer has to be enabled on your device.  I'm not sure what, if anything, you'd see when connecting to port 8085 if it's not enabled.  If the installer is enabled, you should be able to point a web browser at your Roku's IP address and see the Development Application Installer web page, so you probably want to make sure that's happening before you try debugging.

Second, there aren't really any "logs" to be seen.  You can only debug your own code when it's side-loaded and running, so if you're trying to see the debug of some other channel when it's running, you won't see anything (except past output from the last run of a side-loaded channel).  And, you only see output from print statements and warnings/errors produced by your code.  You should see some basic startup messages when you launch your side-loaded channel, but after those you'll only see warnings/errors and output from print statements.

You say you get a prompt - is it Brightscript Debugger>?  Can you type commands?  Try pressing Ctrl-C (and return).  Try a few commands like help.

Good luck!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos