Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaguy
Visitor

CallerID Notices

I have written my own Caller-ID service app for FireTV with some simple java code.
The Caller ID info is passed to the FireTV service across an TCP/IP connection from a YAC like program that I wrote that interfaces with a landline modem.
My FireTV app uses Android’s Notification Manager API to display the information as a notice on top of any running FireTV app.
It gets started at boot time using BroadcastRecevier intent.ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED.
It stays running by using a Service.START_STICKY flag

So I am looking for a way to do this with Roku…
   Start automatically at boot time and run in the background as a daemon
   Listen on a TCP/IP port for data to be pushed to it.
   Provide a pop-up to display a notice at any time regardless of what (if any) channel app is running.

Is this possible on Roku?  I have zero experience or knowledge of Brightscipt language or interfaces.
Given the sandbox nature of Roku, I’m a little pessimistic that this can be done.
I’ve read posts as far back as 2010 where folks have requested a core notification capability using a simple URL request or UDP packet.  That would work.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: CallerID Notices

Not possible.
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos