Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OG_OTT
Visitor

Handling Focus

So I'm VERY slowly getting the hang of RSG... and I have honestly tried to read the SDK docs (but, as per previous posts, I am sure I overlooked something). BUT...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to understand if there is an 'easy way' to handle setFocus()?  I was hoping I could use LayoutGroups, and based on the order of which I added childNodes, if I set focus to the LayoutGroup it would handle the setFocus button presses for me, but after thinking about it, I think that's only part of the possible solution I'm going to get from RSG -- aka, I'd need to know which direction handles which traversal across the child nodes (aka left goes to Node3, right goes to Node4).  That's the dream I had been chasing all weekend long!

Instead, I couldn't get that to work, so I ended up doing a very complicated "if key = "down" and <ON THIS NODE> then go here... else go here" and it was horrible.  I never want to do it again.  

What is the best way to handle groups of components and button events?  One that hopefully doesn't involve mapping every key press against every possible state on the screen.  It looked like MarkupLists, with ContentNodes and Buttons was the way to go, but that just crashed my app.  I can paste code if you want, but I was hoping to just be pointed to the "read this doc" and the approved way is "to do this pattern" and I can probably learn the rest on my own.

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos