Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradC
Channel Surfer

how to turn off roku TV through the web?

Can anyone tell me how to turn off a roku TV via HTTP?

I've found the external control guide:  https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+API    which doesn't seem to be up to date,  or working?   Or I'm just doing it wrong.

Is there an updated guide or method to do this?   I just want to turn off a roku TV remotely.   (basically a scheduled task to turn off the TV at the same time every day)

thanks!

Brad
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: how to turn off roku TV through the web?

Good to see you! I'm not sure but I think I remember something about not being able to do that. :?

Have you been successful doing other commands?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I don't know about ECP, but this works (in Linux):
echo press \# | telnet 192.168.0.121 8080

Of course, replace 192.168.0.121 with your Roku's IP address.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

HIya Komag!  I've only been able to do read type commands, like system info and such.  no control commands seem to work for me.

Thanks renojim,   I'll give that a try tomorrow.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

turns out the ECP worked fine,  I wasn't formatting my request properly.  my fault.

thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I'll have to remember that. What is the command?
0 Kudos