Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

casolorz
Topic Author

Certifying channel question

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am

I'm getting close to the point where I want to certify my channel. Since my channel fully depends on my mobile app, can I certify the channel but not release it to the public until my mobile app has been deployed to everyone?

squirreltown

Re: Certifying channel question

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 am

When you submit your channel for public certification, the last step gives you an option to tell Roku to wait until a certain date before publishing it. I don't know if you can hold indefinitely until you say "OK, now", or not.
Last edited by squirreltown on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetics Screensavers

casolorz
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 am

Interesting, that is helpful to know. 

Do you know if you can change that date later?

Also, will the published channel have the same ID as my private channel?

Thanks. 

squirreltown

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am

I don't know about the date, but the ID will be different.
Kinetics Screensavers

casolorz
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 am

Well crap, I didn't count on the id being different. That changes my release plan somewhat. 

How long do they usually take to certify a channel?

speechles

Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:51 am

Are you asking which came first the chicken or the egg?

it sounds alot like that type of question. Without the app on the TV to catch the baseball, a baseball thrown is worthless. So one would think you get that app on the roku first, then the baseballs thrown at it can stick to something.

This is why I said its like the chicken and the egg. You haven't given enough context to determine which rationale you have for either being distributed first. So is this chicken vs egg?

squirreltown

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 am

casolorz wrote:
How long do they usually take to certify a channel?

My experience has been between 24 hours and six weeks, assuming they they pass the first time.  Also, that's with screensavers, the simplest kind of channel.
Kinetics Screensavers

casolorz
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Yeah it is a chicken and egg problem. Basically if I release the channel first and my app doesn't support it, then people will leave 1 star reviews on the play store about that. If I release the app first without a channel then it will fail when the app asks them to install the channel and more 1 star reviews. 

Is there a way to know with these commands https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+API or others whether the channel actually exists on the channel store? 

Is there a way to know what my appID for installing the app will be even while on review? 

Thanks. 

squirreltown

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:52 pm

The ID is assigned when you create the channel on the web portal. So yes, you will know as soon as it is submitted.
Kinetics Screensavers

casolorz
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Ok, that will help. Now I just have to figure out a way of knowing when the channel has been published already. 

comperc

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 pm

casolorz wrote:
Ok, that will help. Now I just have to figure out a way of knowing when the channel has been published already. 

There is no way to predict when a channel will be published (unless you pass the certification and put a very long publish date in the future). The Roku Partner success team will check and report the issue if any, then you need to fix the issue and submit again and so on until no major issue found. It would take time especially for the first time publish (the update will be faster).

casolorz
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

Have a feeling I'm going to have to use a remote config to change the channel id once it is approved and signal that the app can now use it. 

RokuNB

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm

the base ID doesn't change with publishing - you can see it in the browser URL when editing channel details in dev.portal - it's a number of the 123456 kind. Have a look at ECP <rokuIP>:8060/query/apps (open in browser) for idea. For unpublished versions of channels, if they are added through a code, ID has some _ABCD suffix - when published, suffix is removed.

Also from what i remember you create channel as either private or public and cannot change that later, so will need to create another one for public submittal. Sidebar: if your mobile app is "primary" and Roku channel can't function without it, why publish the channel as "public"? It can stay private, with the app using ECP to check if installed on Roku player and link to screen to install it, if not

casolorz
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

I would be ok with keeping  the channel private since the app triggered installation is working fine for most but it isn't working for users in Mexico. I'm guessing private channels don't work there anymore?

RokuNB

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:16 pm

casolorz wrote:
I would be ok with keeping  the channel private since the app triggered installation is working fine for most but it isn't working for users in Mexico. I'm guessing private channels don't work there anymore?

i don't know the answer to that but i won't be surprised, since we had (it was in the news) some issues with content piracy in that country. email partnerSuccess at roku.com for answer from people in the know.