Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casolorz
Roku Guru

Certifying channel question

I'm getting close to the point where I want to certify my channel. Since my channel fully depends on my mobile app, can I certify the channel but not release it to the public until my mobile app has been deployed to everyone?
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Certifying channel question

When you submit your channel for public certification, the last step gives you an option to tell Roku to wait until a certain date before publishing it. I don't know if you can hold indefinitely until you say "OK, now", or not.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Interesting, that is helpful to know. 

Do you know if you can change that date later?

Also, will the published channel have the same ID as my private channel?

Thanks. 
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I don't know about the date, but the ID will be different.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Well crap, I didn't count on the id being different. That changes my release plan somewhat. 

How long do they usually take to certify a channel?
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

Are you asking which came first the chicken or the egg?

it sounds alot like that type of question. Without the app on the TV to catch the baseball, a baseball thrown is worthless. So one would think you get that app on the roku first, then the baseballs thrown at it can stick to something.

This is why I said its like the chicken and the egg. You haven't given enough context to determine which rationale you have for either being distributed first. So is this chicken vs egg?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"casolorz" wrote:

How long do they usually take to certify a channel?

My experience has been between 24 hours and six weeks, assuming they they pass the first time.  Also, that's with screensavers, the simplest kind of channel.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Yeah it is a chicken and egg problem. Basically if I release the channel first and my app doesn't support it, then people will leave 1 star reviews on the play store about that. If I release the app first without a channel then it will fail when the app asks them to install the channel and more 1 star reviews. 

Is there a way to know with these commands https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+API or others whether the channel actually exists on the channel store? 

Is there a way to know what my appID for installing the app will be even while on review? 

Thanks. 
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

The ID is assigned when you create the channel on the web portal. So yes, you will know as soon as it is submitted.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
casolorz
Roku Guru

Ok, that will help. Now I just have to figure out a way of knowing when the channel has been published already. 
0 Kudos