Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dev mode is not working

Hi there,

I'm not able to access the application installer page even after enabling the developer mode. 
Tried by resetting the device, no luck.

This is what I'm seeing in the browser.

This site can’t be reached
192.168.0.102 took too long to respond.
Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Thanks
Raj
10 REPLIES 10
speechles
Roku Guru

Re: Dev mode is not working

Factory reset the Roku. Then after it reboots cleanly, unplug it. Now go to Roku.com log in and remove that device from your account. Now plug back in the Roku and go through the steps to reregister it under your account. Now enable developer mode on the Roku once you can. Once the Roku reboots with developer mode ready, test it. Do not telnet first. You have to first log into the Roku web portal before that can work.

http://ip.of.roku.here and type that in a web browser.
Login: rokudev - Pass: <your-password-not-pass-sentence>

After that, it should work. Grant you access to the portal. If it does not, you have bigger issues. Roku may have marked you either as:

a) A developer of Illegal software on their device
b) A user of illegal software who repeatedly has illegal software removed from their device

Not just developers use the portal. Others do it just for the piracy apps they can now sideload from zips onto their Roku. As pirates proliferate the platform and cause problems in territories it becomes necessary to stem the tide. Roku now blacklists users and all the devices if they repeatedly insist on pirating with their Roku devices. This doesnt kill your Roku like a remote death switch. It just makes it so developer portal no longer works. This might be your scenario. If so, you may be able to talk to Roku.Co higher ups and explain your sitation and why this occured.
0 Kudos
rymawby
Binge Watcher

Some of our overseas devs are currently having this same issue. Roku any info? Really frustrating with deadlines looming - any info appreciated.
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

I tried all the steps you have mentioned. Unfortunately, Its still the same.
Will reach out to Roku to get some help here.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi, 

Roku is committed to aggressively seeking to prevent the distribution of pirated content on our platform. We recently discovered illegal services misusing "developer mode" on Roku devices as a way to stream pirated content - and we’ve taken new counter-measures to shut them down. Roku is fully aligned with our content partners in opposition to piracy - and we will remain vigilant, protecting both the rights of content providers and the user experience of our customers. Legal use of the platform will not be affected by our steps to prevent piracy.

- Joel
0 Kudos
dat30
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Hi, 

Roku is committed to aggressively seeking to prevent the distribution of pirated content on our platform. We recently discovered illegal services misusing "developer mode" on Roku devices as a way to stream pirated content - and we’ve taken new counter-measures to shut them down. Roku is fully aligned with our content partners in opposition to piracy - and we will remain vigilant, protecting both the rights of content providers and the user experience of our customers. Legal use of the platform will not be affected by our steps to prevent piracy.

- Joel

I think we all understand that, but what if the system has flag me as a piracy developer by mistake? what can I do? 
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

"dat30" wrote:
I think we all understand that, but what if the system has flag me as a piracy developer by mistake? what can I do? 

the usual, email partnerSuccess at roku.com and top men should review the case
0 Kudos
coldrain
Binge Watcher

Dev mode is not working

Long time ago, I use wireless (on Roku4) and enable developer mode and every were working properly. Recently, I tried to use wire connection instead of wireless and somehow developer mode doesn't work (I don't install any special channel so there shouldn't be any problem with my account). Then I switch to wireless and everything is fine. So for now, I use wire network for usual activity and switch to wireless when I need developer mode.
0 Kudos

I never put anything illegal into Roku and on top of that I hold all proper license that my business should have by law to stream. Roku will soon be on the down fall list and people will start not purchasing the products they make due to this. I agree with protecting others rights and materials but where do you ask the ones that are trying to develop the app if the content is legal or illegal. I will from this point forward be heading people off from buying anything Roku is involved with. We as Purchasers own the TV and we should be able to add what we want as app's Roku you do not own our TV's you just want people to be forced to have to use your products. Sounds Illegal to me.

Our company has over 10,000 rooms throughout the US. I had ordered new TV's for every room and they were Roku. After this move from them I just canceled every Roku tv and device. including my personal one at home. Roku you have no way of knowing who is and who is not legally streaming or not. You simply want to try and lock the market for your products only. I think that all TV owners needs to file a class action suit against your company for holding our property hostage with your products. If we buy and own the TV we should be able to put the app of our choices on there. Nothing has given you the rights to everyone's property you should yourself be nothing more than an app on a TV and if a person does not like your services then he or she should be able to remove your app and still be able to use the smart tv that they bought. I myself own a LEGAL iptv company I am licensed with FCC and hold the proper Licenses we need to stream legally. We also like you have channel brokers and have over 30,000 customers. We will be starting a campaign against you on this issue and try and get everyone off your products. You can contact me anytime you want over this issue. You appear to have no Abuse reporting system setup and I find it hard to believe you are following the rules set by DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act Of 1998).