Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

andysmith1965
Topic Author

Registry and Task Nodes

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:38 am

Hi

I read that prior to firmware 8.0 roRegistry and roRegistrySection components could only be used in a task thread. However since firmware 8.0, this is no longer the case.

Is it therefore OK to read/write to the registry without using a task or is it still considered bad practice to do this outside of a task?

Regards

Andy Smith

RokuNB

Re: Registry and Task Nodes

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Nope. Anything that takes more than a few milliseconds, you shouldn't be doing it on the render thread (can do in main thread of task thread).

I read that prior to firmware 8.0 roRegistry and roRegistrySection components could only be used in a task thread. However since firmware 8.0, this is no longer the case.

Where did you read that? Specifically the "prior to firmware 8.0" and "this is no longer the case" parts

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Why would accessing the registry take more than a few milliseconds? Pre-8.x, you'd get a run-time error if you tried to access the registry from outside the main or task threads. That error is gone, so I'm assuming it's ok. I'll deal with the ramifications if/when they occur, but I'm using the registry as a simple way to pass setup information to my components (i.e., not for communication) in my most recently published channel.

Roku's documentation has always trailed reality by months if not years.

-JT

andysmith1965
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:19 am

RokuNB wrote:
Nope. Anything that takes more than a few milliseconds, you shouldn't be doing it on the render thread (can do in main thread of task thread).

I read that prior to firmware 8.0 roRegistry and roRegistrySection components could only be used in a task thread. However since firmware 8.0, this is no longer the case.

Where did you read that? Specifically the "prior to firmware 8.0" and "this is no longer the case" parts

Hi
I read it as part of the comments here...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/509 ... o-registry
Andy