Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sujithdb
Visitor

Accessing Video content from Vimeo - best approach!

Hello All,

I am pretty new to ROKU world! Not sure if my below question really makes sense and looking for an expert opinion on the following question.

Which is the best way to access the video content from Vimeo Premium account? and Why?

Option#1 - 
Step1. Upload videos to Vimeo and update the required metadata.
Step2. Use a custom app to generate a customized JSON feed file using Vimeo API (feed file with Video details, links to video & thumbnail, etc).
Step3. Host this feed file on some server (like AWS S3)
Step4. The ROKU channel will access the feed file once from the hosted location of feed file.
Step5. Details available in channel and play as usual

Option#2 - 
Step1. Upload videos to Vimeo and update the required metadata (same step as option#1).
Step2. Various screens within the channel will directly access Vimeo endpoints (like album / channel) via Vimeo API and retrieve JSON file (json file with Video details, links to video & thumbnail).
Step3. The ROKU channel process this json file and populate the screens with details.
Step4. Details available in channel and play as usual

Note: I am not sure if the option#2 is really possible, but it looks like direct connection and avoid a process of generating feed-file and hosting it.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards,
Sujith
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
vlkwatchman
Visitor

Re: Accessing Video content from Vimeo - best approach!

hello there!  i'm also trying to use my vimeo account as a backend video host.  i've seen it done before ... so i know it can!!  i've found this service (videofeedbuilder.com) however cannot find anything else like it.  it seems like it would work beautifully!  i register for it ... and then i cannot get to the roku feed builder settings.  the page comes up blank.  i can't figure out why.  i've emailed the creator ... perhaps it's a dead project.  you might want to try and see if you can get it working on your end.  ANYONE OUT THERE trying to accomplish the same thing?  please help!  thank you! chris
0 Kudos
vlkwatchman
Visitor

sujithdb ... did you happen to come up with a solution that included vimeo as the backbone to your operation?  thanks!  chris
0 Kudos
sujithdb
Visitor

"vlkwatchman" wrote:
sujithdb ... did you happen to come up with a solution that included vimeo as the backbone to your operation?  thanks!  chris

Even I tried the feedgenerator, no luck in getting it working. So we have planned to build one of our own.
0 Kudos
dtjunior68
Visitor

Greetings,

#2 is possible with the Vimeo API.  Once I saw what you could pull, I then created a back office for a friend of mine that will create the feed file using the Vimeo API to pull the info needed and then uploads it to myjson.com.

When he updates anything under his Vimeo account, he can log into it and update any of the titles stored in the back office DB with a few clicks and hit the create feed button.
0 Kudos
JenniferT
Visitor

agree, #2 is possible with the Vimeo API.
Jennifer Truong from Hayward. https://www.sfcable.com/
0 Kudos
norcaljohnny
Roku Guru

It is really easy building a server side script (my choice is php) to get roku formatted xml or json files. 
0 Kudos

We are migrating to Vimeo OTT and have a main channel and a kids channel.

Vimeo only supports 1 with our platform.

We would like to setup a direct publish channel for the kids but do not have the expertise to create a feed with the API.

Any chance you could explain how you did this to a "nonprogrammer"?

Thanks

Greg

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@Greg_ellsworth You don't need to be a programmer to create a channel with Direct Publisher.  You simply create a "feed file" that describes the contents of your channel and upload it to a public webserver.  You then use the Roku Developer's Portal to define your channel (images, advertising, etc.) and point the portal to the location of the feed file.

Start with the DP quick start guide.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos