Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

"game" manifest entry

Hey, so I just happened to be looking at the manifest documentation and saw there is a "game" entry. The description says this:

All game channels must add the game manifest entry to their manifest file. This flag prevents the channel from having audio/sound effects delays in the game.

I'm not sure when this was added and I'm super curious of what it specifically does. Does it make it so looped roAudioPlayer music stays in memory instead of reloading when looped? Also "sound effect delays" is not something I recall ever being an issue since roAudioResource stays in memory.

Regardless, it's cool to see anything that updates the experience for game development!

I am just probing to see if there is any more specifics on exactly what this does under the hood.

Thanks
Austin
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: "game" manifest entry

"Romans_I_XVI" wrote:
 Does it make it so looped roAudioPlayer music stays in memory instead of reloading when looped? 

Sure sounds like it. That's cool.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Cool indeed. Now we just need some updates to the drawing api and we'll be good to go. Ya know, like the ability to draw a scaled AND arbitrarily rotated image with a single performant draw call...

Anyway, I haven't tested this yet but if this update does what it claims that's a big deal, I'm very happy about it.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"Romans_I_XVI" wrote:
 Does it make it so looped roAudioPlayer music stays in memory instead of reloading when looped? 

I don't know, but I don't think it has anything to do with that.  I think it has more to do with ensuring audio and video remain in sync, which, judging from comments in the general forum, seems to be a bigger and bigger issue with every firmware release. It does mention "sound effects" which to me means roAudioResource.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"Romans_I_XVI" wrote:
Regardless, it's cool to see anything that updates the experience for game development!

Indeed, anything in this vein is appreciated!
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

I don't think it's quite as fancy as it seems... the explanation i received was that there are audio features targeted at the new Roku speakers, and that the video or audio is delayed in order to keep them synchronized for movies but that it has odd effects when a game is being played.
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Ah, that would sort of make sense too. Well regardless even if it's just for Roku speakers at least games weren't ignored.
0 Kudos