Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Romans_I_XVI
Topic Author

"game" manifest entry

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:11 pm

Hey, so I just happened to be looking at the manifest documentation and saw there is a "game" entry. The description says this:

All game channels must add the game manifest entry to their manifest file. This flag prevents the channel from having audio/sound effects delays in the game.

I'm not sure when this was added and I'm super curious of what it specifically does. Does it make it so looped roAudioPlayer music stays in memory instead of reloading when looped? Also "sound effect delays" is not something I recall ever being an issue since roAudioResource stays in memory.

Regardless, it's cool to see anything that updates the experience for game development!

I am just probing to see if there is any more specifics on exactly what this does under the hood.

Thanks
Austin

squirreltown

Re: "game" manifest entry

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Romans_I_XVI wrote:
 Does it make it so looped roAudioPlayer music stays in memory instead of reloading when looped? 

Sure sounds like it. That's cool.
Kinetics Screensavers

Romans_I_XVI
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Cool indeed. Now we just need some updates to the drawing api and we'll be good to go. Ya know, like the ability to draw a scaled AND arbitrarily rotated image with a single performant draw call...

Anyway, I haven't tested this yet but if this update does what it claims that's a big deal, I'm very happy about it.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Romans_I_XVI wrote:
 Does it make it so looped roAudioPlayer music stays in memory instead of reloading when looped? 

I don't know, but I don't think it has anything to do with that.  I think it has more to do with ensuring audio and video remain in sync, which, judging from comments in the general forum, seems to be a bigger and bigger issue with every firmware release. It does mention "sound effects" which to me means roAudioResource.

-JT

Komag

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm

Romans_I_XVI wrote:
Regardless, it's cool to see anything that updates the experience for game development!

Indeed, anything in this vein is appreciated!

Veeta

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 am

I don't think it's quite as fancy as it seems... the explanation i received was that there are audio features targeted at the new Roku speakers, and that the video or audio is delayed in order to keep them synchronized for movies but that it has odd effects when a game is being played.

Romans_I_XVI
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:05 am

Ah, that would sort of make sense too. Well regardless even if it's just for Roku speakers at least games weren't ignored.