Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

PC Magic
Topic Author

Catastrophic drop in ad impressions?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Has anyone else experienced a catastrophic drop in ad impressions provided by Roku since December?

destruk

Re: Catastrophic drop in ad impressions?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

yes - if by catastrophic you mean something like going to 0.

PC Magic
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm

destruk wrote:
yes - if by catastrophic you mean something like going to 0.

Yup.  Any idea why?

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:00 pm

I'm guessing the "Roku Channel".

PC Magic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am

renojim wrote:
I'm guessing the "Roku Channel".

I would guess that accounts for the general decline, but impressions were fine in Dec, and have dropped to virtually nothing now.  I can't see Roku demand for the Roku channel going up that much.  Granted, historically early Jan slows down, but in our case impressions dropped by more than 95% in a month. 

Veeta

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 am

How many channel installs do you have?  I wonder if Roku has enforced a low-water mark for ad impressions from their ad service.

PC Magic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 am

Veeta wrote:
How many channel installs do you have?  I wonder if Roku has enforced a low-water mark for ad impressions from their ad service.

Millions.  Volume wasn't an issue.  BTW, because I persisted in trying to get a useful answer from Roku they've now decided to drop my apps from their ad program.  

DBDukes

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:44 am

PC Magic wrote:
Veeta wrote:

Millions.  Volume wasn't an issue.  BTW, because I persisted in trying to get a useful answer from Roku they've now decided to drop my apps from their ad program.  

Just throwing this out there...

There have been issues reported with apps from your company spiking since November. Perhaps this might be a contributing factor?

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=135989 is simply one that mentions your company. Search for your apps on this forum and you'll see what I mean, particularly weather4us. Perhaps someone in your support area has fallen down on the job. You might need to escalate this.

Again, just throwing that out there.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

PC Magic
Topic Author

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:32 am

DBDukes wrote:
Again, just throwing that out there.

Thanks for that.  I don't check the forum much for tech support.  Customers usually contact us directly.  I followed your suggestion and almost all of the issues were related to a problem we had with the screensaver in Dec.  We fixed it within hours of becoming aware of it, but because it was during the publishing blackout it didn't get published for weeks.  However, we do have the capability to put real-time pop-up msgs in the app and we did so in this case letting users know that a fix was in the works and giving them a private channel they could use until the fix got published.

Romans_I_XVI

Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm

I had a drop to 0 on one of my channels as well. The weird part is that it was on one of my more popular games, Snake. So the game with more requests was getting 0 fill and other games with less requests were getting fill, low fill but still something.

I'm not sure what it was all about, I personally ended up transitioning to 3rd party ads. Hope things get better for you.

PC Magic
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Romans_I_XVI wrote:
I had a drop to 0 on one of my channels as well. The weird part is that it was on one of my more popular games, Snake. So the game with more requests was getting 0 fill and other games with less requests were getting fill, low fill but still something.

Same exact thing.  Best performer went to 0, others dropped drastically but not to 0.    Luck to you as well.