Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Komag
Roku Guru

Repeatable Roku CRASH - Delete channel while on screensaver

I've discovered a repeatable crash. This happens on at least these models:
- Roku TV 5000X
- Roku 3 4200
- Roku TV 4k (which I now can't remember if it's a 6000X or 7000X)
I believe all are on 9.0.0 (and I'm currently looking at my Roku TV 5000X which is 9.0.0 build 4148-08)

If I let my 2D game (roScreen) sit long enough for the Roku screensaver to kick in (no visible screensaver, just blank screen), then via the Development Application Installer webpage portal I "Delete" the currently installed application, the Roku immediately crashes. The way I experience is the crash is that I first immediately get a connection error from PurpleBug from the 8085 connection, and then after a few moments of being frozen and unresponsive even to pushing Home, the Roku resets itself like a full power cycle.

EDIT - I tested again while not using PurpleBug, same crash.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Repeatable Roku CRASH - Delete channel while on screensaver

I got the same result on a 4200. The channel is not a game but has an initial user screen.  I didn't get a message in VioletBug, but the tab went red so it crashed like yours, right away.
 It did not happen when I let my in-channel 2D API screensaver kick in. 
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I also experienced this crash using RainbowBug.  But BlueBug just sort of exited without any warning, which is odd.
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=142792

This has to be the same issue as happens in the above thread. The screen saver seems to cause the crash if you upload-a-new/delete-the-current development zip.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I bet you're right. I guess I'll just have to develop the habit of pressing something on the remote to exit any screensaver mode before deleting the channel.

As an aside - I used to just upload the new version each time (to overwrite the existing version), but some time in the last year or two that started leading to occasional "memory full" errors (more frequent on some models and less on others but always inevitable), so I adopted the habit of always deleting the existing channel first, and I've never had that problem since.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"Komag" wrote:
I bet you're right. I guess I'll just have to develop the habit of pressing something on the remote to exit any screensaver mode before deleting the channel.
As an aside - I used to just upload the new version each time (to overwrite the existing version), but some time in the last year or two that started leading to occasional "memory full" errors (more frequent on some models and less on others but always inevitable), so I adopted the habit of always deleting the existing channel first, and I've never had that problem since.

Since you're OK with the black screen, it would take a few minutes to add that as an internal screensaver, and then you'd never have to remember. Plus, you could add a logo flying around at a later time.
I had that memory problem too, but it was only with Scenegraph. When working on a 2d channel, it never happened. (4200)
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
speechles
Roku Guru

I've got that memory full error before too. You can tell when that is going to happen as the upload progress seems to slow to a crawl. Reboot/Restart the Roku always fixes the problem.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Since you're OK with the black screen, it would take a few minutes to add that as an internal screensaver, and then you'd never have to remember. Plus, you could add a logo flying around at a later time.(4200)

Actually I'm planning such an internal screensaver, haven't decided on the design, but yeah, it would solve this. So maybe I'll move that up and do it sooner than later.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Update - I just noticed yesterday that this crash issue seems to have been resolved by a Roku firmware update (I assume), since it no longer occurs for me on the two models I've tried it on yesterday and today. Nice, thanks Roku. 🙂
0 Kudos