Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Documentation Request For 1920x1080 roScreen

So it's been discussed a couple times on the forums that some Roku models can run a 1920x1080 roScreen component, such as here. For the most part it seems people say that if the device supports 4k then it supports running a 1920x1080 UI. However, my current gen Roku Stick and Roku Express run the 1920x1080 roScreen just fine, and they are not 4k streamers. So that means the ifDeviceInfo.GetSupportedGraphicsResolutions() method returns false negatives as to whether a 1920x1080 roScreen resolution is supported.

I'd personally be fine with something as simple as a list of models that do and don't support a 1920x1080 roScreen (I've got a feeling that all current and future gen models will support it).
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Documentation Request For 1920x1080 roScreen

I'm curious about this as well!
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Me three
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I just tried running a 1920x1080 roScreen on my old Roku 3 4200 with 9.1. It runs, but the location was off. The bottom of the roScreen ends about half way down the screen.

ETA runs as expected on my 4640.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

I think that's actually one of the issues is that it technically runs on all Rokus but can have weird results depending on the device. I don't believe there's a way to programmatically check if something went wrong.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Bumping this.

Roku - Is it supposed to be a secret?

Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Maybe we can just test them all. I have about a dozen Rokus I could try, but it would be easier if someone set up a nice little test1080.zip channel I could use.

0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

That's a good idea.

I think what i want to know is if it's an official thing that I can count on being there. It makes sense that it would be, but I don't have to tell you how tight-lipped Roku is when it comes to features that are already in the box.  I remember how hard it originally was to find out if OpenGL was present.

Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos