Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of time in "just added"

Hello,
I recently had my first channel approved and put in the Just added lineup. It dropped out exactly 1 week later, meanwhile I see someone with several channels still in there weeks later. I asked Roku about it they said its first in first out and have no control over it. So is really pure luck or is there someway to hang in there longer like updating version etc..? Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
cocotower
Roku Guru

Re: Length of time in "just added"

Sometimes 10-20 channels are added per day and unfortunately much of this is because some of the developers are trying to hog the grid with lame and dead channels that feature 5 to 10 vintage movies each of some washed up actor who's been dead for 50 years. One such rude developer is "TV Time Media" who just blasted the grid with AT LEAST 11 lame channels with a few video items each for differenct dead actors.  Within MINUTES of being published, each of the 11 channels received exactly 40 ratings of 5 stars by their associates.  So not only are they hogging the grid but also engaging in fake ratings to make it seem like there is interest.  Meanwhile your prized channel is pushed down the grid into the abyss.  The sad thing is that Roku only promotes the commercial channels, and everybody else, 99.9% of the entire Roku grid is in competition with each other with no chance of ever really making it big time.  It's hard to believe that Roku hasn't set a limit for these spammers but eagerly publish each and every click bait channel these guys including CordCutters Media who also blasted a slew of "male pleasure" channels that of course cost to install but have nothing to offer inside.  These guys are master-baiters, but I digress.
0 Kudos
StevenEsq2
Visitor

I also suspect that the publisher that launches all those dead star/old TV series channels (TV Time) has ZERO rights to that content.  I can't believe Roku does not more closely vet new channels for potential copyright infringement by at least requiring a publisher to check a box that says: "I/we represent we have rights to publicly display the content on the proposed channel" or something minimal like that.  I suppose Roku assumes it is only potentially liable if a take down request is made under the DMCA and nothing is done.
0 Kudos
cocotower
Roku Guru

Most of it is public domain or content nobody has even thought about challenging, but the topic is how long can you stay in the 120-entry Just Added section, and the answer is Very shortly, maybe a week or two of potentially being noticed, otherwise you're doomed to the search grid which only shows titles.
0 Kudos