Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
archanagwda
Reel Rookie

Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

Hi, 

I am trying to play ads in my code, I am not able to play the ads. Getting this following error:
showVideoAd(): excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

This is the Ad URL: 
https://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad ... &is_lat=1& correlator=9924

Please let me know how can I fix this. I tried with stream tester too.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Re: Excessive video buffering detected, canceling ad play

You may want to post this in the developers group.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

[Moving to Roku Developer Program
0 Kudos
archanagwda
Reel Rookie

I am still getting this error. I tried with sample RAF code provided by roku, still throwing same error, We struct in between because of this error. Any updates on this error? 
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Hi archanagwda -
not to worry, this just means that it takes excessive time to buffer the video - more than 15 secs or more than the whole clip length is, and to protect user experience, RAF cancels the play for that ad. This is a rare event in production apps and in investigation has always turned out to be either
a) bad CDN (i.e. slow hosting of mp4) or
b) no low-bandwidth creatives in the ad (in VAST, multiple versions of the video are provided, so that the player can choose quality based on the network conditions)

your specific case might be that you are trying to play US-only ads from abroad (common for off-shore developers) and US ads servers are not configured to server fast worldwide. You could however host locally VAST files and change media URLs to point to local web server, that way issue won't happen during dev/QA
0 Kudos
MuviDev
Channel Surfer

Happens to me in dev mode when i come back and play the video , the first time it is ok. What to do ? WE have other apps like Android , iOS , it is playing fine there

0 Kudos