Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wshirley
Binge Watcher

HTTP PUT to AWS S3 - Payload Issue

I'm trying to upload a file to an AWS S3 bucket.  I've come to a dead end for the past several days and haven't been able to find any online resources to address my current challenge.

I've successfully written the code to calculate the signature and Authorization Header.  I'm using the following headers and ifURLTransfer commands:

m.SearchUrl.SetRequest("PUT")
   PutStr = "/Myfile.txt HTTP/1.1"
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("PUT", PutStr)
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Host",Host)  'Host format = bucket-name.s3.amazonaws.com
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Date", DateString)  'Date format = Sat, Sep 14, 2019 18:14:25 GMT
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Authorization", AuthorizationHeaderString) 'for example: AWS4-HMAC-SHA256 Credential=AKIAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/20190914/us-east-1/s3/aws4_request,SignedHeaders=date;content-length;content-type;host;x-amz-acl;x-amz-content-sha256;x-amz-date;x-amz-storage-class,Signature=3af54f13f05222daff50047d71f67b225f5fd3336f66c769bddf273d5611c33e
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Content-Type","text/html")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Content-Length",ContentLength&.ToStr()) 'for example: 95948
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("x-amz-acl","public-read")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("x-amz-date", HeaderDate) 'format 20190914T181425Z
    m.SearchUrl.Addheader("x-amz-storage-class", "STANDARD")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("x-amz-content-sha256", Content_sha256) 'for example: ec7a120530d1e03657be8ef41ca89dd7450526eb1a59ede2be049044e39bfd2d
    m.SearchUrl.SetUrl("https://grouphiit-roku.s3.amazonaws.com")
   m.SearchUrl.RetainBodyOnError(true)
    Response = m.SearchUrl.AsyncPostFromFiletofile("tmp:/Payload.txt","tmp:/Response.txt")  'I'm not sure what the payload is supposed to be!!!!!
   ? "response.txt = ";readasciifile("tmp:/response.txt")

I'm not sure what the "payload" is supposed to be.  If I make the paylolad equal to simply the file (for example "tmp:/Myfile.txt"), then I get a malformed XML error back from AWS S3 -- so I'm guessing AWS is expecting an XML string.

If cound this which indicates the AWS S3 XSD form for a PutObject is:

<xsd:element name="PutObject">
    <xsd:complexType>
      <xsd:sequence>
        <xsd:element name="Bucket" type="xsd:string"/>
        <xsd:element name="Key" type="xsd:string"/>
        <xsd:element name="Metadata" type="tns:MetadataEntry" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="100"/>
        <xsd:element name="ContentLength" type="xsd:long"/>
        <xsd:element name="AccessControlList" type="tns:AccessControlList" minOccurs="0"/>
        <xsd:element name="StorageClass" type="tns:StorageClass" minOccurs="0"/>
        <xsd:element name="AWSAccessKeyId" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"/>
        <xsd:element name="Timestamp" type="xsd:dateTime" minOccurs="0"/>
        <xsd:element name="Signature" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"/>
        <xsd:element name="Credential" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"/>
      </xsd:sequence>
    </xsd:complexType>
  </xsd:element>

If I send an XML string that has those elements (am I right that the ones with "minOccurs = 0" are optional?), I get a time out error and nothing happens.

Has anyone successfully uploaded to AWS using a PUT (or alternatively, using the AWS presigned URL method).  If so, I'd greatly appreciate guidance on how to make this happen.

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
juanricos
Visitor

Re: HTTP PUT to AWS S3 - Payload Issue

I think what you may be missing is that the filename goes on the end of the URL. The "PUT /myfile.txt HTTP 1.1" is not a header and should not be added as one. Example:

m.SearchUrl.SetRequest("PUT")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Host",Host)  'Host format = bucket-name.s3.amazonaws.com
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Date", DateString)  'Date format = Sat, Sep 14, 2019 18:14:25 GMT
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Authorization", AuthorizationHeaderString) 'for example: AWS4-HMAC-SHA256 Credential=AKIAxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/20190914/us-east-1/s3/aws4_request,SignedHeaders=date;content-length;content-type;host;x-amz-acl;x-amz-content-sha256;x-amz-date;x-amz-storage-class,Signature=3af54f13f05222daff50047d71f67b225f5fd3336f66c769bddf273d5611c33e
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Content-Type","text/html")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("Content-Length",ContentLength&.ToStr()) 'for example: 95948
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("x-amz-acl","public-read")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("x-amz-date", HeaderDate) 'format 20190914T181425Z
    m.SearchUrl.Addheader("x-amz-storage-class", "STANDARD")
    m.SearchUrl.AddHeader("x-amz-content-sha256", Content_sha256) 'for example: ec7a120530d1e03657be8ef41ca89dd7450526eb1a59ede2be049044e39bfd2d
    m.SearchUrl.SetUrl("https://bucket-name.s3.amazonaws.com/myFile.txt")
    m.SearchUrl.RetainBodyOnError(true)
    Response = m.SearchUrl.AsyncPostFromFiletofile("tmp:/myFile.txt","tmp:/Response.txt")  'from file is the file you are sending
    ? "response.txt = ";readasciifile("tmp:/response.txt")
0 Kudos
wshirley
Binge Watcher

Thank you.  That did the trick.  Problem solved.
0 Kudos
juanricos
Visitor

OK, that's great, happy to help. The way AWS formatted those "examples" is confusing.
0 Kudos