Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shlepzig

Streaming Web Radio Player

Anyone have any ideas how to stream a web-radio station.

The protocols they use are outside of my realm of knowledge, and what I have been able to find through the Google have not gotten me on firm footing to start learning about them.

Are there any standards that they typically use. Presumably I will need a tool to convert the stream to an MP3 format that the Roku can use.

If someone could show me a path to start down, and maybe leave a few breadcrumbs, I think I can take it from there. I have a deep and shameful desire to listen to my beloved LuxuriaMusic.com without futzing with the computer and cables.

-Shlep
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming Web Radio Player

The audioapp example shows live streaming of NPR. I modified that and added some other stations like KCRW, KROQ, CBC, Indie 103, etc.

I used URLSnooper2 to get the stream's URL. Sometimes those were in the form of playlists like (eg. www,kroq.com/streaming/live.pls) (that's made up).

I imagine I could open that with a text editor, but I'd just double click on it in URLSnooper and it'd launch in iTunes -- then I'd grab the true URL.

The only issue I ever had was that sometime it would take a good 10 seconds before the audio would start playing.

ETA: I only added streams that were in compatible formats. Some station stream through flash.
0 Kudos