Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bege
Visitor

apache server setup to stream videos

I have a Ubuntu 9.10 box at home and would like to try stream media from it. Do you have to install anything special on the server to get it to stream media, or do you just have to drop the appropriate encoded file in one of the hosted directories?
I have the latest httpd installed but had some issues last night. The progress bar would only go about 5% then stall out. I never got any sound or picture. I was using the simpleplayer sample and only changed the URL in the source code. Do I need to do anything else to the source? I believe that my issues have to do with the file itself and not the server but I wanted to confirm. I used a sample mp4 that I found on the internet as a test file.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: apache server setup to stream videos

You will want to make sure that your file conforms to the specs in "Supported Video Formats" in the Component Reference.

You should make sure you have proper settings for the following params:
videoclip.StreamBitrates = bitrates
videoclip.StreamUrls = urls
videoclip.StreamQualities = qualities
videoclip.StreamFormat = StreamFormat

For your mpeg4 video, the StreamFormat will be "mp4". Please check the other values are correct.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
bege
Visitor

I found the issue. I had to use the IP address of my server and not the servername. Once I did this I was able to get a video to stream and work. I used Handbrake to encode it first and all is good.
0 Kudos
TommyTheKid
Visitor

(lets keep the DNS discussion in the DNS thread)

I too would like to know if amazon/netflix/etc run any special configurations, or just a holy hell of a lot of FAST disks and lots of memory (caching). I am using a *very* basic apache configuration. I actually just turned on "Web Sharing" on my mac, and put the files into ~/Sites .. I am having the same problems as others (movie over 1HR starts buffering).

I can also try it on a Sun Ultra 45 (workstation), but again it will just be a very basic apache2.2 configuration.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy
0 Kudos
zimbra
Visitor

"TommyTheKid" wrote:

I too would like to know if amazon/netflix/etc run any special configurations, or just a holy hell of a lot of FAST disks and lots of memory (caching). I am using a *very* basic apache configuration. I actually just turned on "Web Sharing" on my mac, and put the files into ~/Sites .. I am having the same problems as others (movie over 1HR starts buffering).

I can also try it on a Sun Ultra 45 (workstation), but again it will just be a very basic apache2.2 configuration.

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

It was indicated to me that this may be a firmware issue on the roku box itself, though I haven't seen a public notification of that; maybe one of the moderators can confirm?
0 Kudos

"zimbra" wrote:
"TommyTheKid" wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

It was indicated to me that this may be a firmware issue on the roku box itself, though I haven't seen a public notification of that; maybe one of the moderators can confirm?

I too would like to know why it is buffering after one hour. Not that I experienced it yet.
I just set it up now and will test it soon.
0 Kudos