Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
EngoTom
Topic Author
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 am
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:08 pm

We’re developing a channel for a client where they are using it for in-house for signage. Yes we are aware of the BrightSign product :)

Is it possible to have a channel load automatically upon system boot? If not then this is a feature request please.

Also the ability to disable IR as we can still programmatically get to the remote functions through telnet.

Thanks
 
User avatar
KennyJ
Posts: 4048
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Lawndale, CA

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

I doubt that feature would ever be added. Roku wouldn't want a channel to be able to take over the entire Roku. The channels are all "sandboxed"
 
EngoTom
Topic Author
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:29 am
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

If in he main "Systems Settings" the user could choose the channel to launch upon boot this would allow them to select a channel or set it to None.
 
User avatar
RokuKevin
Roku Engineering
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Please see the BrightSign product line for digital signage solutions... It uses BrightScript as well, and allows you to auto load channels etc...

http://www.brightsign.biz/

We have no plans to disable the IR or auto load channels on the Roku box.

--Kevin
 
jellygreen
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:10 pm

RokuKevin wrote:
Please see the BrightSign product line for digital signage solutions... It uses BrightScript as well, and allows you to auto load channels etc...

http://www.brightsign.biz/

We have no plans to disable the IR or auto load channels on the Roku box.

--Kevin

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but is your lack of plans due to technical or business reasons? I ask only because I mentioned this same exact topic in the wrong forum section. The two threads I mentioned this in the Roku Streaming Player General Discussion section were:

With a retail list price of $399 for a BrightSign HD210, a Roku XD|S can be purchased for a fourth of the price of the least expensive network-capable BrightSign. In addition, there is a built in IR-port along with an included remote control. Auto-loading of channels would seem to be a minor concession to developers/end-users who like the feature-set and price of the Roku XD|S but would like to use them in some ways that they would use a BrightSign unit.

Ideally, this would not be a permanent mode nor would it be hard to disable. Just as one is able to reorder the channel icons on the main menu, an additional option could be added to have a given channel start automatically when the device is powered on.

If this a business decision, could Roku offer a BrightSign XD|S exactly as-is now but with auto-loading for $299? I realize this seems a bit silly but you've made a decent product with the Roku Streaming Players. H.264 and HLS are current technologies, MPEG-2 transport stream files and the somewhat complex syncing model are dated to a certain extent. Making a channel that could playback H.264 encoded files via HLS and off of a USB drive on a XD|S would be wonderful but being able to auto-load is somewhat crucial, which is most likely why Roku has hesitated on adding that functionality.

My solution to the desire to disable the IR-port would be to place a piece of black electrical tape over the IR-port.
 
kbenson
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 am
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm

I haven't done anything with SSDP/external control, but if it can query what's currently running, you could use some external server to check that the correct channel is running and run it if not. If it can't query the current running channel, that seems like a good feature to request.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

kbenson wrote:
I haven't done anything with SSDP/external control, but if it can query what's currently running, you could use some external server to check that the correct channel is running and run it if not. If it can't query the current running channel, that seems like a good feature to request.

The current version of ECP cannot query what channel is running, only what channels are installed.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
RokuPatrick

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 am

Sorry, the Roku Streaming Player products are focused on consumer in-home applications. I wouldn't expect delivery of features targeted at other applications.

Patrick
 
jellygreen
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:40 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
Sorry, the Roku Streaming Player products are focused on consumer in-home applications. I wouldn't expect delivery of features targeted at other applications.

Patrick

Thank you for your reply Patrick. However, you pretty much reiterated what was said before and what I acknowledged in my own reply.

Here's an alternate question, what is the likelihood of some of the features of the Roku Streaming Player products coming to the BrightSign product line?
 
RokuPatrick

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 pm

jellygreen wrote:
RokuPatrick wrote:
Sorry, the Roku Streaming Player products are focused on consumer in-home applications. I wouldn't expect delivery of features targeted at other applications.

Patrick

Thank you for your reply Patrick. However, you pretty much reiterated what was said before and what I acknowledged in my own reply.

Here's an alternate question, what is the likelihood of some of the features of the Roku Streaming Player products coming to the BrightSign product line?


BrightSign is a separate company with a different roadmap and development, even if there's a common heritage, so that's a question for them.
 
gagarcia00
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Having ROKU remember what the last channel watched and allowing it to be able to startup in either the last viewed channel or a pre-selected channel would allow Roku to behave more like traditional TV or Cable. There have been many times where the power button was hit by accident and having to turn it back on then search for the channel being watched is cumbersome.
 
EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3834
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:41 am

Re: Auto load channel on boot and disable IR option

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 pm

gagarcia00 wrote:
Having ROKU remember what the last channel watched and allowing it to be able to startup in either the last viewed channel or a pre-selected channel would allow Roku to behave more like traditional TV or Cable. There have been many times where the power button was hit by accident and having to turn it back on then search for the channel being watched is cumbersome.

This already could be - and partially so - the case for a RokuTV. RokuTV could start at the last used input (e.g. HDMI) before it was shut off. This should be the case be default, except it's not - the default is Home screen - but if one goes hunting in the Settings submenus, can change it so it behave more like... well, a TV!
I can easily see a case for improvement in the UI so that after Roku power-on, the default focused channel at Home is the last used before power-off.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests