Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lucasgonze
Visitor

usability of up key as back button?

I'm working on interaction design for my Roku app and wondering about whether I need to add an explicit "back" button to each screen. The issue is that the implicit "back" -- the Up key -- might not be intuitive.

Does anybody have an opinion on it? What's your own experience with using the Up key for going to the previous screen?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DeftOne
Visitor

Re: usability of up key as back button?

I think every Roku DVP channel I have ever used or tested has used the up arrow as the means to go "back" a screen. Not being a developer myself, I just assumed it was the default behavior. I'd say you are safe without an explicit "back" button.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Netgear WNDR3400 (all Rokus wireless)
25 Mbps
0 Kudos
bcl
Channel Surfer

My advice is to follow what all the other apps are doing. Up really isn't back though. I think of it as a stack, and up moves back up the stack. left and right move forward and back (think of when you are browsing the netflix queue).
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Please do not create a separate "Back" button.... The up arrow is reserved for this purpose. The "Design Guidelines" document goes over many of these user experience guidelines for channel development.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
lucasgonze
Visitor

I took the advice to explore what other apps are doing. My subjective experience was that using the up key has good enough usability.

When I'm doing user testing later on I'll check that.
0 Kudos