Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it be possible to make a web browser?

Now I'm not talking about any kind of port firefox to roku BS. I don't see that likely working. But I am asking if a fully capable browser on the level of firefox or IE can be made for this. Now I know it ain't got much processing power. But does it have enough and is the SDK extensive enough? Now I'm really not thinking along the level of firefox. I am thinking more on the level of skyfire. Skyfire is a mobile web browser. Now what is special about skyfire is that a webpage is fully rendered by a server separate from the device being used. Pretty much like a thin client. I am also not saying port skyfire to roku. I am merely suggesting use of the ideas that made it might work. Anywho I am tired so later.

If you want check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyfire_(web_browser)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Would it be possible to make a web browser?

A fully functional browser. Not one of those deals where you put a whole browser on the roku box. The roku box probably doesn't have the power to render flash, quicktime, silverlight, and likely a good few other things. What it can do is connect to the internet. What I am suggesting is building a serverside web browser with full capability and building a thin client web browser on the roku that links up to it. The rendering would be done serverside and it would send the signal back to the roku. Think kind of like playon but more like but really once again think more like skyfire.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Want to watch Hulu?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos

that would be nice amongst other things
0 Kudos
jnuneznj
Visitor

I wouldn't want something that is server side. Hell I don't even need one that does images. I think a web browser that will allow me to get an IP from a hotspot like Hotels would be best. Something along the lines of Opera Mini.
0 Kudos

Though that would be helpful for a number of people. I think if a browser were to be made it would be important to make it as capable as possible. A full featured browser. That may give you roku use at a hotel but will also give someone else hulu accuess or what ever else.
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

There isn't a practical way to do this in realtime with the Roku Player - the SDK is very focussed in regards to what it enable you to do with it; hold on for the Google STB coming shortly, which will come with a web browser.
0 Kudos

There is very likely a practical way to do this on the roku. There may not be the technical skill here to do it. You build and code a front end for the roku. A sdk compliant front end. You build a backend on the server. The back end on the server would render the requested webpages and send the rendered output back to the front end.

the output would be sent as images annotated with interactive items such as links and text-fields

There may not be the skill here required that would do this but it is very possible.
0 Kudos
jnuneznj
Visitor

Please everyone, please quit mentioning hulu.com because it's never gonna work until Hulu develops a channel for Roku. Hulu goes out of it way to block access from any setup box trying to access it's content. If it requires a server then why not request some playon type of channel cause that is as good as that is going to get. Meanwhile a client-server solution doesn't work for a hotel solution. What did work for me is internet sharing using my laptop. But had to make sure my laptop didn't go to sleep.
0 Kudos

I don't even know what to say to that. That is an interesting question. Why not ask for very limited technology from very lazy people like playon?
0 Kudos