Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juncmodule
Visitor

Cannot Connect to Roku

Hello,

I've had my Roku player for a bit over a week. The player works fine. I have watched several movies and had no connection issues. However, I am unable to access the device via it's IP address to add custom channels. I am unable to ping the device from any machine on my network, although I can ping other machines. My router could ping the Roku just fine. I'm pretty sure this is a simple network problem, as I have no connectivity issues otherwise, with the Roku or my other machines on the network.

I guess what I'm looking for are any tips regarding ports that may need to be opened or other Roku specific router configuration that may need to be done.

Thank you,
-junc
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
supersecretuser
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot Connect to Roku

It depends what you are trying to do. If you are developing your own "channel" you need to enable developer mode. How to do that is in the SDK documentation.

If you are trying to add "Private Channels" that other developers have built you need to go to https://owner.roku.com/Account/ and enter the channel code that you got from the developer.
0 Kudos
juncmodule
Visitor

I am developing my own "channel" and I have already enabled developer mode.

Thank you,
-junc
0 Kudos
teastman
Visitor

Having same problem.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The Roku box responds to icmp ping messages.... So if you can't ping, you have network issues.

If you cannot play videos as a user on the Roku, the problem is probably on the Roku box. In that case, goto Settings->Network->Repeat guided Setup to change Roku network settings.

--Kevin.
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

Happens infrequently to me and I find rebooting the box (removing the power from the back for a couple of secs and plugging back in ) usually solves the problem of not being able to install or telnet to the box.
Greg
0 Kudos
jmox
Visitor

I am having the exact same problem as original author juncmodule. Roku plays media fine and normal use works great. However, I can't ping the Roku player, nor load the installer page, nor telnet to it. Like juncmodule, I enabled developer mode. I have three other computers on my LAN, and they can all ping each other. None can ping the Roku player. I've been picking at this for over a week and I really want to develop a private channel, but I can't get past this. I've tried unplugging the player and restarting it several times. In case the player's subnet mask does not match my network's subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, I tried changing my router to start IPs at 101 instead of 2. Still nothing. I just tried restoring my router to out-of-box settings. The only custom router configuration now is my WPA password. Roku can still play media fine, but to other computers on my LAN it's like it doesn't exist. I've been all over the internet for answers to this, and I'm about to give up trying to make a channel. I'm using a Netgear wireless router. Maybe I'll try my old Linksys router and see if Netgear is the problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone seen and solved this problem? Does the player require special router settings?

Also, every time I tried to ping the player, I verified its current IP address in both the player's settings panel, as well as my router's "Attached Devices" page, so I'm pretty sure I'm pinging the right IP.

It's almost as if the player has a firewall up or simply doesn't respond to ping, telnet, or http.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You'll be my hero. Thanks!
0 Kudos