Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JorgeLoco
Visitor

Performance Question...

Hello,

I'm a very new developer w.r.t. Roku / Brightscript; however, that aside I have a performance question w.r.t. the Roku player's response to the remote control inputs.

From the 'Home Screen', when I push a left or right button, the Roku player delays for on average 4 seconds. (That was not a typo, for on average four (4) seconds.) After four seconds my player will either scroll to the left or to the right. (Though sometimes, for reasons I don't understand, it will speed up to on average two (2) seconds.)

Is this normal behavior?... or did I get a bad player or something?... It is hard for me to imagine this is the normal response time for the device.

Other information:
Pandora ten (10) seconds to load its screen from the menu, six (6) to return to the home menu
Netflix eight (8) seconds to load its screen from the menu, six (6) to return to the home menu

Here are the stats for my player:
Software - version 2.5, build 385
Hardware - model N1100
Serial No - C0C01W00xxxx

Any information would be greatly appreciated, for we are examining developing solutions for the player. Thanks in advance!

Jorge
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Performance Question...

Just as an experiment, could you power cycle your player and see if you still see the same performance?

--Mark
0 Kudos
JorgeLoco
Visitor

The main menu side to side timing is 3.2 seconds on average...
Pandora & Netflix appear to have swapped their start times of 10 & 8 seconds...

If this is normal operation, then it is what it is, I'm just surprised that's all. What prompted this question, was when I was reading through the 'RokuDvp-DesignGuidelines.pdf' document and it states, "Ideally users should see visual feedback within 250 milliseconds of pressing a button on the remote control." None of the apps are responding anywhere near that fast (though that is what I would expect.) Even the simple demo app "monitorsetup" has feedback on average of one (1) second.

Are the BrightSign players of comparable performance?

Jorge
0 Kudos
philsoft

"JorgeLoco" wrote:

If this is normal operation, then it is what it is, I'm just surprised that's all. What prompted this question, was when I was reading through the 'RokuDvp-DesignGuidelines.pdf' document and it states, "Ideally users should see visual feedback within 250 milliseconds of pressing a button on the remote control." None of the apps are responding anywhere near that fast (though that is what I would expect.) Even the simple demo app "monitorsetup" has feedback on average of one (1) second.

Are the BrightSign players of comparable performance?

Jorge

What size are your poster images?
0 Kudos
JorgeLoco
Visitor

They're the standard ones in the SDK demo... I've not changed anything... just exploring at the moment. (There's a lot to learn 😉
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"JorgeLoco" wrote:

If this is normal operation

This is not normal.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'd agree that it is not normal, although I have seen it happen after doing lots of experimenting with BrightScript coding and lots of crashes. Normally, I can reboot my box and the problem goes away. However, on one occasion the only thing that would make it go away was a "Factory Reset" from the DVP settings screen.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos