Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgerrish
Visitor

HLS won't play in VideoPlayer Example

I have gotten HLS and VOD to work with the simplevideoplayer example. I have VOD working on the VIdeoPlayer example, but when I try to do do HLS streaming with the video player example it doesn't work. Am I missing anything here? I changed the format to hls, and put in my link just like in the simple video player, but it just tries to load the stream, and then backs back out right away. I get this error, and ideas?
showHomeScreen | msg = An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected. | index = -3
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: HLS won't play in VideoPlayer Example

The stream may not be in the correct format for the Roku. See RokuMarkn's comments here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=31056#p190110
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
cgerrish
Visitor

Thanks, I know it works on the Roku because it works in the simplevideoplayer example, but my stream and the apple test stream won't work with the videoplayer example.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Oops. Sorry. I missed that part.

The videoplayer example defaults the StreamFormat to "mp4" if it's not present in the feed XML. Is it possible that the StreamFormat is either missing, or not set to "hls" in your metadata?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
cgerrish
Visitor

Ah, thank you! I figured it out. I had my <streamFormat> tag in the <media> section of the xml data so it didn't see it.
0 Kudos