Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

Publishing woes

Ok i uploaded two channels but neither are working for me.

the zip files work just fine here for me but after i package them and upload them and I add the channel, they aren't working for me at all.

also i have a question about the packages, now i am worried cause i used the same terms in each for example "token" and stuff like that to write to the registry.

will they be recognized by each channel as the same or will Roku know they are for different channels and know where they go?

I am worried now they didn't make the contest deadline cause for me they are not working
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Publishing woes

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
Ok i uploaded two channels but neither are working for me.

the zip files work just fine here for me but after i package them and upload them and I add the channel, they aren't working for me at all.

What exactly do you mean by "aren't working"? Do the channels not show up, or do they open and immediately close? Or is some specific functionality not working? If you used the same zip file for packaging as you did for testing, then they should behave the same.

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
also i have a question about the packages, now i am worried cause i used the same terms in each for example "token" and stuff like that to write to the registry.

will they be recognized by each channel as the same or will Roku know they are for different channels and know where they go?

If you used a different roRegistrySection name for each channel, then you should be fine. If you stored the data for both channels in the same roRegistySection, then they'll overwrite each other.

"dynamitemedia" wrote:
I am worried now they didn't make the contest deadline cause for me they are not working

If you just submitted the channels today, then you may have already missed the deadline. The deadline for submission was Monday night/Tuesday morning at midnight PDT. They allowed updates to submitted channels until 9AM this morning, but weren't accepting new entries after the initial deadline... but I'll defer to Roku on that one.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

What exactly do you mean by "aren't working"? Do the channels not show up, or do they open and immediately close? Or is some specific functionality not working? If you used the same zip file for packaging as you did for testing, then they should behave the same.

they just open and immediately close... yeah i used the same zip files, and when i am testing here they are both working just fine, just not the submitted versions

If you used a different roRegistrySection name for each channel, then you should be fine. If you stored the data for both channels in the same roRegistySection, then they'll overwrite each other.

Hmmm, that could be a problem! i think i may have used the same, i basically made two of the same channels only changing what webUrl to go to get the XML

If you just submitted the channels today, then you may have already missed the deadline.

I submitted the original, these were just the updates
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"dynamitemedia" wrote:

My understanding of the contest was that you could continue updating the submitted app UNTIL the deadline, at which point that was the final version to be used for the contest. Maybe your problems are related to the newer entries being submitted after the deadline?
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

no these issues happened on my last upload too...
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"kbenson" wrote:
"dynamitemedia" wrote:

My understanding of the contest was that you could continue updating the submitted app UNTIL the deadline, at which point that was the final version to be used for the contest. Maybe your problems are related to the newer entries being submitted after the deadline?

Actually, Patrick sent out an email yesterday...
We’d like to give you one final opportunity to make sure your channel is as good as it can be before voting begins. To that end, You have until 9AM PDT tomorrow, Wednesday September 8th to update your channels to get that final optimization, typo correction or feature in if you’d like. No new channels will be accepted, but you may update the package for your submitted channel.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
hoffmcs
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:

If your channels are independent, you should be rekeying your Roku box and signing your packages with different keys. If you channels are signed with different keys, it doesn't matter if you use the same roRegistrySection name.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"hoffmcs" wrote:
If your channels are independent, you should be rekeying your Roku box and signing your packages with different keys.

I understand that using the same key allows multiple channels to access the same registry info, which is handy if that's a needed feature, but I'm not clear on why you say you "should" re-key for every channel...? In fact, the SDK documentation even suggests creating a dummy app to store your key for future channel development, which would suggest the opposite. I can see the utility in re-keying, if you're developing channels for different clients, but I'm not sure why you'd want to otherwise. Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

If you aren't re-keying for each app, you must be careful of namespace conflicts. All apps with the same key will share the same registry and could therefore collide on writing the same keys in that registry.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

And if you have a public screensaver and any of your apps have a private screensaver, you have to rekey. I don't know whether if you only use private screensavers if they need different keys. Kevin?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos