Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SolveLLC
Visitor

Multiple HTTP requests when loading video

I've noticed this before but it's never been a problem until now. When a video is selected and starts to buffer, 6-7 http requests are sent to our servers requesting the file. Is there a way to change this behavior to a single request?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Multiple HTTP requests when loading video

Are you playing an MPEG-4 file? If so, the multiple requests are necessary to read the various parts of the metadata which are quite inconveniently scattered around at different places in the MPEG-4 container. If you look at the byte-range requests you should see that it's seeking around to different parts of the file.

--Mark
0 Kudos
RoadRanger
Streaming Star

I've seen certain MP4 files where the "thrashing" increases the further into the video you go until it gets to the point of overloading the rather low-power web server I have on my NAS and crashes it 😞 . If yous guys are actually wanting to work on this issue I could turn on logging and attempt to see what's really going on for ya 🙂 . I'm guessing it is re-reading some parts of the file over and over again rather than caching it ?
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We require that the web server hosting the video content supports range requests. My guess is that your NAS server does not.

--Kevin
0 Kudos