Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Video Encoding Guide

I have seen one other post asking this, but haven't seen an answer.

On page 45 of RokuDvp-ComponentReference.pdf in note 8, it says "Please see the Video Encoding Guide for information...".
I haven't been able to find that document. Can somebody please post a link to it?

Thanks!
D.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
denizb
Visitor

Re: Video Encoding Guide

I am having trouble playing my h.264 encoded videos that have been encoded using Matrox Compress HD in Final Cut Pro.

I have older videos that play fine that were encoded using FFMPEG.

The videos encoded by the matrox card play fine in other DNLA playing devices such as the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and iPod and iPad. They also play fine in Flash players.

MediaMac shows these settings for the video:

AVC1
Baseline L3.0
Frame size 640x360
Frame Rate: 3103
NTSC
Video bit rate: 1136 Kbps
VBR

Audio: AAC 128k

In the encoding options, we have "Fast Start" option enabled, and the GOP size is 64, with Distance between P frames set to 2.

Can someone provide all the requirements for the videos, and how they should be encoded?
0 Kudos
pdm
Visitor

I am not sure if any of the embedded players are able to decode a stream with a GOP structure of 64. Try to reduce it to 20
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

It would be great if we could a Roku rep to chime in here.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

We do not have any artificial limits on GOP.... Your frame rate looks suspicious, it should be 23.976 fps or 29.97. Also, your Profile should be Main 4.0 or High 4.0.

The Encoding Guide will be included in the v2.7 SDK which should be available from our developer web site very soon.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
GandK-Geoff
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
... the v2.7 SDK ... should be available from our developer web site very soon.

YAY! And there was much rejoicing ....
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"GandK-Geoff" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:
... the v2.7 SDK ... should be available from our developer web site very soon.

YAY! And there was much rejoicing ....

Video Encoding Guide release party at my house!! 😄
0 Kudos