Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Network resource requirements

Does anybody what the Internet resources the Roku looks for when setting up the network connection?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Re: Network resource requirements

Looks like the Roku doesn't do fixed addresses, you need to be running a DHCP server to connect your roku to anything. That means turning on Internet Connection Sharing on your PC or mac, or connecting to a Router (like a linksys, dlink etc) which all have built in DHCP, although one might need to turn it ON if they have static addresses for all their network devices.
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

The problem is, that unless whatever is sharing its connection with Roku has real, live Internet access, the Roku won't finish the network setup.
It likes the cable. It likes the LAN. But it complains that it can't access the Internet and stops there.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

I see. What about getting it set up on a network, then disconnecting from that network and connecting to your mac?

- Joel
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

otherwise you need to do something really strange like do a network capture of what it actually does when it connects to the internet, and then try using a packet-replay app to fool it into thinking it is on the internet. If it is doing its network connectivity check using SSL you are probably screwed, but otherwise you might be able to fool it into thinking it is connected.

- Joel
0 Kudos
vaxace
Binge Watcher

Yep. I came to the same conclusion.
An analysis of a tcpdmp log with Wireshark reveals a conversation with api.roku.com using SSL.

Looks like I'm out of luck for now. :cry:
That's going to make my demo bloody difficult.

Guess I'll make a formal feature request to Roku for the ability to test without a live Internet connection.

Thanks for the input.

D.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

Do have an iPhone? If your iphone is Jailbroken, there is an app, free for 14 days that lets you share your 3G internet connection over wireless. I tried it out yesterday and was totally amazed that the performance was actually better (pages loaded quicker, didnt' try streaming, just web browsing) than my AT&T 6mbit DSL line. Go figure

- Joel
0 Kudos