I've started committing changes for the v2.0 release of my Home Media Server project here at github. Feel free to clone, fork, contribute, etc.
In its current form it is functional, you can play video with it and add cover art files and TV show descriptions.
This version is a radical departure from the v1.X series, on the server side it requires only a http server with directory listings turned on. Everything else is client side, or controlled by the directory structure and some control files (mostly optional) in the directory structure. This should make it much easier for users to get setup.
I have also started a Google Group for support at here.