Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uarlive
Visitor

Hosting for video files

Hello. I am new to the forum and to Roku development. I had a question about hosting video files for the Roku channel. What services can I use? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
59 REPLIES 59
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: Hosting for video files

It's common to use CDNs to host the video content. Popular choices include:
Limelight Networks
Akamai
Level 3

There are others...

--Kevin
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

thanks i appreciate the answer.
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

I will also add a vote of confidence in HDDN. They are part of the NetDNA architecture but have a pay as you use it approach. We use them heavily and have had no problems (not an employee or anything, just an advocate after trying the others). Also, you can consider things like Amazon S3 or EC2 as well. It all depends on the file types and of course, the cost you are willing to absorb to achieve the results you need.
0 Kudos
flingsoft
Visitor

Here are some others we considered:

Akamai
CacheFly
Limelight
EdgeCast
Rackspace (Cloud)
SparkCDN
SimpleCDN (now migrating into MaxCDN)

I can tell you that the big guys (Hulu and Netflix) both run on the Akamai infrastructure.

Hope that helps!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Another option is a Online Video Platform for hosting and management of your content. Here's a list of ones that we've spoken to or are working with:
Brightcove
Ooyala
Kaltura
Endavo media
The Platform
Unicorn Media
Castfire

Patrick
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

I'd steer away from SimpleCDN. The cost may be tempting, but let me put it this way, we'd sue them if we could find an actual physical address to serve the summons.
0 Kudos
jalmberg
Visitor

How about S3/Cloudfront? I like it because we were able to develop a completely custom solution around it that really fit our client's needs. The cost is fairly reasonable, too.

We haven't tried to hook it up to Roku, yet, but are investigating that possibility. Any problems with it?
0 Kudos
uarlive
Visitor

i will let you know. we are working on a solution that will use either amazon or rackspace cloud.
0 Kudos
jeepsterryan
Visitor

We currently use Amazon Cloudfront exclusively. If you want a simple to use pay as you go solution, they work great. The only downside for us has been the lack of statistics. Amazon only provides virtually unreadable log files. The streaming of videos has been very reliable.
0 Kudos