Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuPatrick

You can now bill for your channel through Roku

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:29 pm

As of this morning, we have the ability for developers to charge for access to their channels either for a one-time fee or on a subscription basis. Details are available at www.roku.com/developer. Questions?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: You can now bill for your channel through Roku

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 pm

I don't have any specific questions about the charging aspect of it, but I am curious as to what benefits there are to the "Premium" developer account. I understand from the FAQ on that page that it's required for charging for channels, but there are no other details that I can find. The FAQ states that more details are provided during the sign-up process, but unless those are in the developer agreement, I didn't see them.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

evilmax17

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:48 pm

RokuPatrick wrote:
Questions?

Yup!

Can you guys handle different billing information for each individual channel? So if I develop channels for multiple unrelated companies, I would want the option to have the money go directly to them, instead of through me first.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com

greubel

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Patrick, I was looking for information and the only thing available was the developer's agreement. It sort implied that it was documented during the sign up process. I went through the signup and I thought I could cancel out and still get some sort of info on how it works. No such luck, now I'm signed up for something that I have no idea on how it works.

What is the cost per transaction ? What kind of notification do I get on a buy ? What is the cost of a reversal ? What about accounting ?

I was just looking. So far I'm happy with the way I have Chaneru setup with PayPal but was looking for something cheaper.
Last edited by greubel on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RokuPatrick

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm

TheEndless wrote:
I don't have any specific questions about the charging aspect of it, but I am curious as to what benefits there are to the "Premium" developer account. I understand from the FAQ on that page that it's required for charging for channels, but there are no other details that I can find. The FAQ states that more details are provided during the sign-up process, but unless those are in the developer agreement, I didn't see them.

No, it's just the name for a developer account that can charge for channels.

evilmax17

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:59 pm

What does the process of purchasing or subscribing to a channel look like for the end user? Where/how do they enter in their billing information?

What happens when a subscription expires? If I have already downloaded a channel (for free), and that channel converts to pay/subscription after the fact, what happens?
Last edited by evilmax17 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com

cgerrish

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 pm

What is the premium developer account?

dynamitemedia

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

yes i would like to see how the billing actually works as well.

I think you said it was one time billing, not monthly correct?

and what is the Revshare model look like? will they be able to purchase from their screen? lots of questions.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway

kbenson

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:32 pm

To pull together the bits of information here, plus the little bit I know so far:

• The premium developer account is just an account that can have billed channels
  • The system supports for one time and recurring charges (but I don't know what recurrence intervals it supports)
  • The split is 70/30, like in other apps stores (as per a PM I had with a Roku employee)
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!

RokuVince
Roku Evangelist

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:27 pm

TheEndless wrote:

The Premium Developer Program allows developers to charge for their channel. Developers can offer a channel/app as a one-time purchase or a monthly or annual subscription. It differs from the Standard Developer Program in that developers are 1) required to agree to a Roku Services Agreement that sets the terms for Roku providing billing services and 2) provide additional financial and contact information for billing and tax purposes.The Roku services agreement can be found under "Developer Resources" on the developer home page.

RokuVince
Roku Evangelist

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

evilmax17 wrote:
RokuPatrick wrote:
Questions?

Yup!

Can you guys handle different billing information for each individual channel? So if I develop channels for multiple unrelated companies, I would want the option to have the money go directly to them, instead of through me first.

At this time the billing is done under the name of the company. So if you were to develop a channel for a company we'd create a developer account under their name, with their financial and payment information. You could create and test the channel under your own developer account, but you would need to publish the channel for sale under the company's developer account.

RokuVince
Roku Evangelist

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:41 pm

kbenson wrote:
To pull together the bits of information here, plus the little bit I know so far:

• The premium developer account is just an account that can have billed channels
  • The system supports for one time and recurring charges (but I don't know what recurrence intervals it supports)
  • The split is 70/30, like in other apps stores (as per a PM I had with a Roku employee)

Roku customers can now have a payment method (either credit card or PayPal) associated with their Roku account. New accounts must place a payment method on file at account creation. For existing accounts it's optional and they can do so by logging into their Roku account. Once an account has a valid payment method on file, the customer can make purchases from their player. Channels can be a one time purchase channel, or a subscription channel (monthly or annual). Subscriptions automatically renew to the payment method on file until the customer cancels or their payment method is no longer valid. A customer can cancel a subscription from their player. We do not notify developers when a purchase has been made, however they can log into their developer account and see real-time reporting. Payments are made to developers using PayPal on a monthly basis.

TomCorwine

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 pm

RokuVince wrote:
New accounts must place a payment method on file at account creation.

The payment method should be optional for new accounts, too. I always hate it when I'm asked for payment info when I have no intention of making a purchase.

jbrave

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm

I have to second this one - new Roku customers should not have to have a credit card on file. Not everyone has a credit card. Some people live a cash-only existance, some seniors might not have credit cards, would be better PR to not require this! Lets say I have a Netflix account that a relative has paid for as a gift, and a Roku, also a gift, but I can't use it because I don't have a credit card. This is definitely not good for Roku's business or reputation, the credit card should only be required to add a pay channel.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!

kbenson

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:25 pm

TomCorwine wrote:
The payment method should be optional for new accounts, too. I always hate it when I'm asked for payment info when I have no intention of making a purchase.

I have to admit this was my first reaction as well. I assume they are trying to be like the other app stores, or like Apple's app store in particular, but I don't remember the iphone requiring an itunes account to use the phone portion, just to buy apps. Since the Roku requires an account to set up now, it's basically requiring a credit card or paypal account to just set up a device that's already paid for. If that's really the case, that's sure to turn off a lot of people and get a lot of bad press.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!