Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

stevelaw18
Topic Author

Beginning Development

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 am

I'm looking into creating a Roku channel, and have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

Roku documentation mentions things called components, however these components appear to be more like templates. In other words, I just supply the appropriate data and call the appropriate methods/functions, and the template/component takes care of the actual rendering of the view.

Is this correct?

Is there an way to create customized templates/components?

jbrave

Re: Beginning Development

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm

stevelaw18 wrote:
I'm looking into creating a Roku channel, and have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

Roku documentation mentions things called components, however these components appear to be more like templates. In other words, I just supply the appropriate data and call the appropriate methods/functions, and the template/component takes care of the actual rendering of the view.

Is this correct?

Generally speaking, this is correct. However, you can create and render your own graphic displays with the roScreen and roImageCanvas components.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!

stevelaw18
Topic Author

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:21 pm

jbrave wrote:
stevelaw18 wrote:

Is this correct?

Generally speaking, this is correct. However, you can create and render your own graphic displays with the roScreen and roImageCanvas components.

- Joel

Thanks for the response.

When you say create create a graphic display, is it possible to control focus of any sorts within that graphical display, or is it simply a non-focusable graphic?

jbrave

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Since both roScreen and roImageCanvas are relatively free form - you will have to generate the focus effect yourself - for example, you could draw a box around the item you want to represent as "selected".

If you want your screen to behave like a standard roku component, then read up on anonymous functions, there is some documentation in the brightscript manual, and a few good examples in the forum here. That way you can do something like:

MyGui=newgui()
Mygui.drawMyCustomUI()
Mygui.selectelement(1)

And any other methods you want to invent.

-Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!