Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email submit within app?

Is there a way to request a viewers email within a channel?

I would like to capture emails if people are interested in more information.

Thanks!

Bryan

NEW PUBLIC CHANNEL: Make Money Online Network
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: email submit within app?

The roKeyboard screen works.
0 Kudos

Does anyone know how to do this? Sample code, pay for code, etc...

I would like to capture a customers email and process it in some way that I can send it to my aweber / email list.

it would be great just to have a box on the main screen where they can put their email in to receive more information. But I am also thinking I would like a sub-channel that requires the email to be submitted. The channel would then need to remember that something was submitted in the past. (if invalid email, that is fine, doesn't have to check)

Thanks!

Bryan
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Two ways I can think of offhand
1. create a form on your web server an submit the email through that with an http post.
2. use the new sockets functions in brightscript to make a direct smtp connection to your server (must be on a port other than 25 most isp's block that port.)

For the former, there are plenty of scripts on the internet, just use google, and you would use AsyncPostFromString method of roURLTransfer.

For the latter, you would have to spend some time understanding the smtp protocol and implmenting it on roku, probably not that easy to do, but should be possible.

- Joel
0 Kudos